We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

I will be disembarking a cruise ship on Dec. 27th, flying to Dallas. Can anyone tell me how far the airport (SXM)is from the cruise dock? And time recommended for the drive? I'll probably just catch a Taxi from the ship.

Also, AA airline flight departs at 10:30 am.....can I make this flight?

Many thanks for your help!

Martita

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

You did not say what time the ship arrives however once you are in the taxi it is a 30 minute ride +/- depending upon traffic conditions which may or may not add another 15-20 minutes to your ride.

You'll need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure, arriving later than that may or may not result in your missing your flight depending upon many conditions at the airport.

pinson al
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

You need to carry off your luggage and be the 1st people off the ship. This can happen as early as 8:30. TAke a cab and you will have time to spare.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

Hi, the 27th is on a Saturday ---your docking time WILL BE KEY. Generally arrivals are between 6:30 and 7 on up to 8:30 or 9. Sat. is a turnaround day for vacationers and the airport will be busy. There are TWO throughfares to get you from the port to the airport.The short route will take approximately 45 and MUST cross a DRAWBRIDGE that opens DAILY around 8 0r 9 for traffic in and out of the Bay/Lagoon.....small boats to mega yachts.IF that bridge is opened BEFORE you cross you will have an additional 1/2hr to an hr wait.....depending on boat traffic.that time of year can be busy because lots of yachts are wintered there. The longer route will take about an hour BUT....no bridge wait time. You might be cutting it very close with airport check-in being 2 hr's prior.With a plan it might be doable. GOOD LUCK

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

Notify the cruise personel and they will make sure you make your connection at the airport.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

There is no route to take to avoid the draw bridge.

You either have to cross the Dutch side draw bridge or the French side draw bridge when coming from the cruise port. The French route it is just too much travel time and distance.

The Dutch side draw bridge will open at 9:30 A.M.

The French side draw bridge will open at 8:15 A.M.

Hopefully you will already have been at the airport one hour before the Dutch side bridge opens.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

To the original poster,I didn't mention the "bridge" on the "longer route" because it's daily opening is not a given as the boat traffic @ Sandy Ground is far less than the bridge on the shorter route (Simpson Bay) as I've gone through there days on end and it never opened.And chances are it will not open 12/27 IF you take that route.IF it does, the time open will be very short as compared to Simpson bay.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

Wow, I think that is tight. if your flight is at 10:30 you need to be at the airport to check in by 8:30.

so it depends on what time you dock and how fast you can get off the ship.

Allow at least 1/2 hour to get to the airport.... and that is Christmas week, so it might even take longer.

Traffic is crazy that time of year. and note the bridge openings.

In the height of the season they often open the Dutch side bridge at 9 AM and 9:30 AM which really backs up the traffic.

They have not yet announced if they are going t o do that yet.

I think if you can get off the ship and in a cab by 8 AM, you can probably make it.

Good luck!

Barbara

Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

Many, many thanks for all the expert help!

The Seabourn Pride docks at 8 am but now I'm thinking of simply flying to San Juan....spend the night at the airport then flying AA direct to Dallas on Dec. 28th.

I think this would certainly be less stressful!

Anyone have a suggestion as to an airline flying to San Juan? I think I'll try and find a flight a'round noon or 1 pm.

Thanks again!

Martita

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Terminal to Airport (Philipsburg, St Maarten) ? Help

www.yapta.com/search/results/…

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten