We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voltage and laptop

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Voltage and laptop

I'm arriving to St. Maarten for the first time later this month from Ireland. We're staying in Simpson Bay. I would like to bring my laptop to stay in touch with family and listen to music (also bringing speakers).

Will I be able to use my laptop there and which transformer or adaptor will I need. I'm a total idiot when it comes to voltage and different plugs!

Advice?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voltage and laptop

I'm no expert either. I suggest you visit your local electronics store for accurate information. You will need a power converter and adaptor plug to accommodate the following:

The power used on Dutch Sint Maarten is the same as is used in the USA.

The power used in French St. Martin is the same as is used in France.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
827 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voltage and laptop

You don't need anything on the Dutch side. Same as US. Same voltage and plugs. All you need on the Frech side is a plug adapter. The power supply for the laptop automatically detects the voltage and makes the necessay adjustments.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voltage and laptop

G & J - they're not coming from the US.

Anahita - take Bobcats advise.

When I travel to the UK, the only thing I need is a plug adapter for my laptop. I'm guessing you would need the same (but an adapter for US type outlets).

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
827 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voltage and laptop

Didn't notice they were coming Ireland. In any case all they need is adapters. All major laptops are manufactured to automatically detect the voltage and make adjustments. That way they can sell them across boarders by just changing the plug.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Voltage and laptop

Not all resorts in Simpson bay have WiFi access. Pelican supplies to the rooms it via password to their guests, Flamingo only has it in the lobby and around pool area (free to laptops, a charge to use Flamingo lobby computers), Atrium has lobby only with no laptop access. You can also use the Mail Box and a place in the Royal Palm complex for a fee. La Vista has usage for a fee also. These can change as more resorts are getting more laptop friendly and realise the need. Check with your resort to see what they provide for the guests.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voltage and laptop

Sorry for not responding sooner, guys, ironically, had problems with my laptop! Derrr!

So, not bringing it and now considering buying an Apple Ipod on my JFK overnight to bring for music and just using internet cafe for daily emails.

Can't wait!

Thanks again for the advice!!

A

7. Re: Voltage and laptop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten