We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Bonjour!

We have previously visited Orient Beach for the day while on a cruise. We stayed mostly on the South side of Pedros, near the Club Orient yellow beach chairs.

We would like to come back for a week (without the cruise line!) and stay on Orient beach.

We are hoping to stay at the Cap Caraibe.

Is nude sunbathing (or bathing) allowed on the beach in front of the Cap Caraibe? What about the other areas between the setup chairs. (Between the hotel cabanas.)

Is it discouraged? Forbidden?

If it's allowed, would I be the only one laying in the sun nude there?

If I wanted to go into the water nude...will that be a problem?

Thanks you for your time!

Hope to be with you this winter!

Lou

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
757 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

You might get away with an early morning swim or walk, but the rest of the day nudity is only allowed at CO now. Be prepared to encounter Gendarmes.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Yes, there has been a recent crackdown outside the Club O area. The early and late walks are still taking place. Just be sure to carry a coverup in case you run into the Gendarmes.

Stay at Cap and walk or drive down the area past Pedros.

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Wha happenned?

A "crackdown"??? (I don't even like the term!)

Like there is something wrong with something that has been done on the French Riviera for all time?

Is there only a "crackdown" when people complain about inappropriate behavior? (understandable). Is there only a "crackdown" when you are seated in the hotel beach area? (I would imagine this is understandable too...)

Orient beach used to be a "nude beach" where you could be nude all day.

What prompted the change?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Who knows? Lots of theory's. From complaints from Disney cruises to complaints from Orient Bay homeowners.

Regardless, the times they are a changin!

NY
Level Contributor
89 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

There are two beaches in front of Cap Caraibes. La Playa has allowed nudity in the past on their beach lounges but Waikiki has not. Topless is OK on all the beaches along Orient but nudity is become more and more scarce and discouraged by the gendamarie's and the establishments.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
757 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Last week we saw a few people walking the beach sans textiles as late as 9:30AM. No Gendarmes on the beach. There are also people using the area between Coco Beach and BooBoo Jam, but no one cleans the seaweed and trash.

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

We stayed @ Esmeralda on the North end of Orient Beach in June07. Esmeralda is connected with Coco Beach Bar/Rest. They have an area with about 10-12 lounge chairs/umbrellas sectioned off for clothes optional sunbathing. The use of these chairs as well as the chairs in the clothed area is free to esmeralda guests and available for a small fee to visitors. We witnessed lots of nude walkers in the early a.m. hours all along the beach. There were plenty of nude sunbathers in the c/o area all day long and they made many trips to the water without clothes. We stayed clothed but it didn't seem that the "nudies" were out of place or that they were uncomfortable walking to the water. If I were planning my first c/o trip to a beach, I would probably start out @ Coco Beach C/O area as it is fairly small and has just a bit of privacy from the rest of the beach. We did not see any police enforcing clothing requirements but that certainly does not mean it was going on. The South end of Orient Beach is open to the public and is defacto NUDE everywhere.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

But since June, things have changed. Coco's no longer has a nude area. Not saying it won't come back, but for now, it's gone.

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Thanks for the info SXMLover. I wonder if this may be a seasonal thing. B4 our June 07 trip, I read several posts stating CoCo Beach had closed nude area but when we arrived early June, there was definitely a nude area. I'm speculating that maybe during high season the establishments cater to clothed customers since they can fill the rooms with them and not have to deal with the complaints from those who choose not to tolerate other peoples wishes to go au naturale.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orient Beach: Nudity Question.....

Who knows? Evidently the folks at Es and Coco Beach are under pressure from the Gendarmes. Will it go away in the spring, only time will tell. In the meantime, just carry a coverup if you wish to go down that end. I've heard so many reasony why, from the Disney Cruisers to the folks who live in Orient Bay complaining.

We find it easier just to stay at the Club O beach. Then there's no problems. If we want to head down the beach for lunch, we cover up. No big deal. To us, it's a matter of respect to the people who live there.