We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones on the island

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones on the island

Hello everyone. I'm planning to go with my family in July and read somewhere about cell phone purchases to keep in touch with family in the US. I think it would be a good idea to have more than one also since we are traveling with a few other members who we'll need to stay in touch with, any suggestions as to what to do?

I think these forums are awesome and appreciate ANY advice you have for me.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phones on the island

Two most popular choices...contact Sharon Harris (do search on this forum for her contact info) or take your own phones and dial 611 (I think) we you arrive and that will connect you to Eastern Carribean Cellular and for a one time (I think $25.00) plus resonable minute charges...they can activate your phone for as many days as you'd like.

St. Martin
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phones on the island

ECC and their prepaid cards are a good solution. Go to http://st-maarten.blogspot.com/ and look for the money saving tips. They sell you cards for a minimum of $ 10 and low rates to call the USA. It works with US standard digital phones, not with GSM phones. (I have no shares in ECC, neither peddle with phone cards, just a matter of experience).

NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phones on the island

I believe Sharon Harris and Packlight (www.SXM-Services.com) both have GSM phones with similar pricing. The good thing about GSM is that you don't pay for incoming calls. It's 40 US cents per minute back to the US. We also found that the cheapest way to call from the US to SXM is via a calling card program: www.SXM-Info/callingcard has the information. The price was less than 20 US cents per minute.

US
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phones on the island

We rented from Sharon Harris at: queenofsxm2000@yahoo.com & it was a pleasure. Sharon & Packlight do charge the same $30.00 for a weeks rental but on Sharon's phone $15.00 of that is in time on the phone. I think on her phones it is $.32 per minute to the US so for the same $30.00 on her phone we got around 50 minutes of calling time to the states. I had checked out Packlight but for the $30.00 with them you get no calling time on the phone & the per minute rate is higher.

Good luck!!

Barb & Larry

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phones on the island

Thanks so much for your input ....it is most appreciated

I will be taking your advice!!