We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane time

TORONTO
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane time

Can only go last week of August. Is this unwise ,having read it is the beginning of hurricane season? Hope not was there May 2 years ago and loved it. Appreciate any input.

1. Re: Hurricane time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:58 am, June 14, 2005
Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane time

Why risk it if you can choose another island off the hurricane path?

We stayed in Curacao at the Marriot this year and though the island doesn't offer as much overall as St. Maarten, we had a wonderful time. Good snorkelling, nice beaches, lovely resort----all with Dutch charm. I think Aruba, Bonaire or even Barbados would be a much safer choice given your time frame.

TORONTO
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane time

Appreciate your replies . Went to Aruba last year had great time. Want to re-visit St Maarten. Hoping anyone been in August will reply with info. Also is there a reliable weather history site. Thanks Again

Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane time

I use jmbcommunications.com for info about St. Maarten. There is a good link to weather and hurricane information. Just google the full address if it doesn't pop up right away.

The general information I've seen indicates that September is the worst month for hurricanes so it could be a risk to go near then. We have been to St. Maarten five or six times but were rerouted once to Barbados after a hurricane hit and the resort was devastated. The next year they were still cleaning up, planting trees and rebuilding----and that was in February.

Hope that helps.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane time

We have been to the island twice in August and will return again this August. We love that time of year and have always had wonderful weather.

We have also been in February and just returned yesterday after spending two weeks. February was too busy for us. May was wonderful, but August is still our favorite.

And yes, we have been lucky with the weather.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane time

i have NEVER once travelled to the caribbean outside of hurricane season. the water's warmer and calmer and the prices are ridiculously cheap compared to high season. i think your chances of being down there and getting nailed by a serious hurricane are pretty slim. i've heard and read if anything, avoid september if you can. your chances of being hit by a hurricane are highest then

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten