We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

Erie, Pa.
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

We are going to St. Martin in a few days.

Would appreciate recommendations on must-see and must-do experiences.

We are staying in the Grand Case area. Restaurant recommendations - we aren't "into wine" or "fancy" food, but really enjoy good food.

Trying to figure out whether to visit Anguilla and/or St. Barts - if so, how to get there and how to get around.

Not to miss stores, esp jewelry -- that is, if we don't have to spend all of our money on the food and excursions :)

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
870 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

We've never stayed in GC just visited while on the island. I would definitely rent a car. It's almost a must to see the entire island and visit other beaches. You can go to Pinel isl. as well as Orient beach. Most of our dining occured in P'burg or Simpson Bay. Please visit Anguilla, they have the best beaches, if you can go to Shoal Bay East. You can take the ferry from Marigot for $25 pp and it's a 20 min ride, very smooth. You can also rent there but driving is on the left and you need a temp license, which seemed like too much of a hassle for us so we took a taxi which was $35 roundtrip but worth every penny. We did go to St. B's but we left from P'Burg. I prefer Anguilla over St. B's any day but that's us. Now for jewelry, many recommend DK Gems/Jewelers. I've never bought jewelry on vacation so I don't know how they are. There is the west indies mall in Marigot and of course shopping in P'burg on front street. There is also an area in Maho which has shops, not high end stuff but it's nice to walk around at night and go to Cheri's Cafe-it's a fun place. If you are at the dock in Marigot check out the open air restaurants like Enoch's and Diane's (I think)

Erie, Pa.
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

Thanks so much for your input.

We are renting a car. I just thought that particularly at night we would not be driviing as we read that the roads are not the best and it can be dangerous to drive.

Your info on the taxi cost was really helpful re Anguilla as I had read about the ferry, but then I didn't know how expensive it would be to get to those beautiful beaches! :)

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

It's really not dangerous to drive at night on st. Maarten. it is rural driving and some of the roads are not well lit but once you have travelled around a bit, you will get used to the roads.

my favorite dining spots in grand case are the lolos..great local cheap food. and

Spiga's.......Italian gourmet

Erie, Pa.
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

Thamks for your tip re the lolos - I had read about it and we plan to do that ... didn't know if there were any in particular to try. I love Italian food so we will plan on visiting your selection (had seen that name posted by some other folks as well).

Rental car company recommendation? We probably will try to drive a bit at night after we do some "day scouting" ")

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
870 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

There are a lot of local places, I think Ace is a reputable company from what I read here. We've only used Hertz.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

For rental car:

Alain Arnell at AAA( triplea@outremer.com ) We've used AAA our last 9 or 10 trips with excellent price and service

St Louis - http://www.st-louis-car-rental.com/

Unity - http://www.unitycars.com/

Leslie Bruce at Kenney's bruce@sintmaarten.net

DK Gems is our favorite shop for jewelry.

7. Re: going to St. Martin for the first time -- advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, August 30, 2009