We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Refunds

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
RCI Refunds

I was scheduled for the Belair Beach Hotel from October 7th through the 14th.

Belair Beach has posted on their website that they are closed for repairs until at least November 30th.

I have a weeks account with RCI and paid the transfer fee plus insurance.

I know I'll be getting my points back. My question is that because the resort that they charged me for is unavailable...shouldn't they also have to refund the transfer and insurance fees because they weren't able to provide me with the room that I booked?

Not that it matters, but I made the reservation in December of 2015.

The total is $268 and I plan on fighting until I get a full refund because I know how RCI operates. Worse than the airlines. If I do get the full refund, I plan on donating it to a relief fund for the rebuilding of St. Maarten.

31 replies to this topic
Normal, Illinois...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RCI Refunds

Lucky you ... Interval International just expects its customers to suck it up and eat the loss: No refunded fees and no refunded week to use later.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RCI Refunds

Not lucky yet, Ed.

I'm planning on calling RCI the Monday before my Saturday scheduled check-in date.

I'll let you know how lucky I am at that point.

I was wondering if anyone had gotten a refund from RCI in the situation I was in.

Normal, Illinois...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RCI Refunds

Sorry, not trying to belittle your problem. I hope it works out for you.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RCI Refunds

No problem. I actually expect them to do exactly what Interval International is doing.

Difference is, I'm ready, willing, and able to put up a fight. It's got nothing to do with my vacation being affected. It's got everything to do with the greedy corporate pigs who run these companies.

I worked for 30 years for one of those pigs. Had to be on the quiet side to keep my job. Not anymore.

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RCI Refunds

Hello Ed, thank you for sharing your feedback. We regret to hear this and would like to hear more of your feedback to help rectify this matter. Please send us an email to connect@intervalintl.com, with your membership information and contact number so that a senior member of our customer service team can connect with you as soon as possible. Thank you, Pat Taylor, Director Customer Experience - Interval International

NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RCI Refunds

I also had a week at LaVista thru RCI,, they put the week back to my account and gave me a credit of the Transfer Fee to be used by Oct 30, 2017. The fact the I cannot find anything that I want to exchange to, I

am going to call and fight them to refund the money as 30 days is too short to try and find another place to go to. Hope this helps you

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RCI Refunds

That's exactly what I thought would happen. Thank you for your post and preparing me for the battle to come.

While I love the convenience of transfer with RCI, and their service to me is invaluable...if they can't do the right thing in a situation like this, it's embarrassing.

I'll start with asking for a supervisor. If that doesn't work, I'll write to corporate. The next step would be reporting them to the BBB. Etc.....

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RCI Refunds

I thought it was interesting that someone from Interval International posted here in response to Ed's post. Funny that they're monitoring the forums. At least it shows they're interested in what's going on.

They didn't say they would refund his money, of course. Instead, they cut and pasted their normal reply to look like they care. Who knows...maybe they do.

Let us know Ed.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RCI Refunds

LOL. I was right.

Just looked at all the other posts that Pat T from Interval International made.

Same one over and over again. Cut and paste. They just changed the name of the person they were responding to.

Maybe it's better than nothhing at all. Only time will tell.

Normal, Illinois...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RCI Refunds

Time will tell ..

I *am* pleased that they're at least reaching out. For the sake of having said it, here's the history thus far ...

As soon as the island got hit, I replied to the exchange confirmation e-mail that we got way back when we made the exchange (so the information was already there for them) asking ... essentially ... "What now?" Within 24 hours, I got a boilerplate e-mail copy/pasting their normal cancellation policy. i.e. We're welcome to cancel, but it'll be treated no differently from any other customer-initiated cancellation. Because of the timing, we were already close enough to our trip that there were penalties involved with cancellation. I replied saying that yes, I knew what the normal customer-initiated cancellation policy was, but that *we* weren't the ones cancelling - the resort (and the airport for that matter) were both closed.

The next day, I got a call from a number registered in Singapore, which I would ordinarily not answer, but had a hunch it might be Interval calling and I was correct. The woman was a smidge difficult to understand, but it became clear that she was calling to "offer" me what amounted to the normal cancellation policy. We had a good long talk and I'm pretty sure she got my point, but ... of course ... she was constrained as to what she could say or agree to. (Not her fault. I get that.)

At the end of the conversation, I asked her three questions: 1) If her house washed away in a hurricane, did she really think she could have it completely rebuilt in 8 weeks? 2) What if the resort opens, because tourism is their lifeblood, but it's not anywhere near back to normal? 3) Let's say I *don't* cancel, and I show up to the resort as planned, and it's closed. What then?

She answered neither, but promised to call me back the next week after the damage to the resort had been accessed (which is fair ... this was only a few days after the storm). She *hinted* that, if the resort was really not open (or open but sub-par) that they may be willing to be flexible, but wouldn't promise anything.

That was two weeks ago. So far, ... nothing. Meanwhile, the resort's own website says they're closed until further notice and that they've set up a hotline to assist their *own* owners in rebooking (but not people exchanging into their property -- only their own owners).

Waiting ...

(Meanwhile, any chance you can change the name of the thread to reflect something more general like "Irma-related Timeshare Cancellations"?)

Reply to: RCI Refunds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted