We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Is the golf course on St. Martin really that bad? We just want to play 9 holes with a tropical drink in one hand, club in the other :-)

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Don't play golf, but understand that it's ok if you REALLY have to play golf on vacation. I believe it's also pretty expensive.

When we drive by, it's usually pretty brown.

Rhody
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Its horrible. 10 years ago it was green and lush as was that whole area of the island, Mullet Bay. Sometime between then and last year (when I was there last) there was a huricane that wiped out that area. The condos are still in ruins and the course seems unmanaged. As I undestand it, the owner of those condos and course is getting more money through the insurance payments than he would through repairing the properties. I play golf in december in Rhode Island so I know almost anything can be played, but dont think its going to be a tropical course. Dry and dusty covers it.

Steve

Kelowna
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Don't golf...we stayed right by the golf course and was shocked to see how poor the condition was!!! When we were there (one week) we could count the number of golfers on one hand.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Anguilla was building a Greg Norman golf course 2 winters ago, does anyone know if it's open?

Cape Breton N.S.
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Andquillahoneymoon

I play golf at Mullet Bay on Friday April 1st (no fooling) this course at one time was pretty good one...build around a lagoon..however they need to do lots of work....could use water system...its' very dry..brown and dusty on most holes...I took my clubs, but I would not play this course again until they spend some much need repair work...not to mention the cost of $98. US with power cart..cheaper if you have a shared cart!!

save your money for shopping!

Golfguy

CTG
Atlanta
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

The golf course is poor.. ever since the Hurricane of 1995. The owner, who resides oustside the country (I think Iran) took the insurance $$$ and has done nothing. The Island government under Sarah Wescott-Williams has threatened to take the course from the owner, but as you can imagine that is not easy. I spoke to the Consulant 3-weeks ago and it is rumored that a buyer like Radison or Marriot have expressed interest.

In terms of cost, like everything else on the Island... it's negotiable so you can pay anything from $55vto $100.

All that being said, the setting is brautiful, you can see how it once was or could again become a championship course... so just or fun sip your tropical drink and enjoy it!!!

---- CTG

New York
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Yes, the golf course is really that bad, unless it's been raining. Then, at least, the grass is green.

However! If you really need to hit some golf balls while on the island, we discovered this year a new driving range on the road to the Grand Case Airport. A bucket of balls was $4 US or 3 Euros. It's not always open, best times are in the morning. There is no bar there, so if you want a drink in one hand and the club in the other, bring your own drink. He does have clubs you can use so you can avoid the hassle of brining your clubs.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

If you get really drunk beforehand, the course looks beautiful.

harrisburg, pa
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

Just my own humble opinion but..... f you're going to play golf, be sure to have MANY tropical drinks before you even think about hitting the course. Otherwise, you'll be bitterly disappointed. It's quite expensive and the greens should be more aptly called the "browns." If you want a great golf course, you won't find one in St. Martin. Sorry to disappoint you.

Mississauga,On
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf Course...is it really that bad?

I just want to know how you get out and golf on your honeymoon!!!!!

Dan

Dan&Pam

Mississauga

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten