We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jalousie update?

Eire
4 posts
Save Topic
Jalousie update?

We are travelling to jalousie at the end of October with friends and young kids. I expect most people who have enjoyed their holiday are not writing reports and this site is weighted towards the negatives. However, I am still worried that our trip to the jalousie plantation may not be what we expect. We are very easy going but do like good food and friendly service. We are all inclusive which seems the best option as we will not be travelling around very much. We would like some activities and the snorkeliing, diving and golf at jalousie are an attraction? Has anyone been recently that can give a balanced review? There seems to be alot of trips arranged on a daily basis which also look good? can young kids be taken on the Helicopter Taxi - seems the best option and very reasonably priced!

Looking for reassurance that we have made the right choice...

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jalousie update?

We stayed there in July with our teenage sons on a B+B basis and enjoyed it - i haven't written a review as yet but intend to so look out for it! I don't know whether young kids can be taken in the helicopter.

birmingham, al
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jalousie update?

My husband and I just returned from St. Lucia yesterday. We stayed at Ladera for one night and Jalousie for the remainig 6 nights of our vacation. We absolutely adored the Jalousie Plantation. It seemed to us the perfect blend of seclusion with a wide array of activites available that simply depended on how active and invloved you chose to be. We are very picky eaters and so probably have a very different appreciation of the food than you might. It was very pricey and nothing exceptional. However, to be fair, we did not eat at the Plantation room or the Pier Restaurant. We did go to The Bang restaurant on Wednesday night for dinner and a show and it was very good. The service was even better than we expected. Every staff member we met was very friendly - even more so than at Ladera. We did the snorkeling and enjoyed it. The golf was fun for something different, but the course is only 3 very rough holes and one is out of commission. It's more like a longer putt-putt course. We didn't make it out to play tennis, but the courts looks very nice and well kept. My husband played volleyball on the beach, they always have water aerobics, various hiking trips, and many tours to choose from. You really can be as active or as inactive as you choose to be. We did not take the helicopter tour, but we met a family from London that took the tour with two children. I don't know if there is an age limit, but these kids looked to be around 8 - 10 yrs. old.

What made resort even more enjoyable for us was the location of our villa suite very near the beach. It had a larger plunge pool than most and a nice view of the ocean and mountains. We stayed in #103. #104 is even nicer, and I'm told #110 is even better than that.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
1,338 Reviews
St. Lucia
England
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jalousie update?

We are also going to the Jalousie on October 23rd and this will be a return trip for us having travelled last September/October 2005.

Yes parts of the hotel are tired and could do with updating, but our villa was wonderful, beds comfortable, well cleaned etc., and the villa pool was cleaned every day. I kind of like the rustic slighty untidy charmof the place, but I can see how it could disappoint travellers who like squeeky tidy chic .

Mosty of the staff were really welcoming, especially to our 10 year old son, but then we spoke with them (hello, goodbye and thank you) and treated them right ( a couple of $'s here and there...) Michael (a driver) would find all sorts of fruits and nuts for my son and even took a coconut to the bar for him where it was opened so he could drink from it. There are some surley staff but you get that everywhere I've found.

All inclusive is the only way to go - from burgers around the pool to the Pier at night - perfect.

Don't expect perfect greens for golf. Pitch and putt was more like it last year, but it may have change...

We spend all the time at the resort and probably will do again.

We did both transfers via the helicopter - the only way to go just make sure you take a small bag with you that has essentials. Luggage follows about an hour afterwards. There were no problems carrying our 10 year old but I don't know about younger kids.

Melbourne, Fl.
Level Contributor
82 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jalousie update?

Please read the recent review that I have posted, as we just returned from Jalousie on August 23rd. I would definitely recommend it-- the snorkeling is great, and I think your choice of all-inclusive is also a wise one. Don't know about the helicopter taxi. We did our own touring to the volcano, rain forest, diamond falls, sulfur springs, and botanical gardens. We did go on a horse-back riding session which was arranged through the Jalousie.

You and the children will absolutely love the place!!!

dorset england
Level Contributor
4 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jalousie update?

we have just returned from the jalousie- we also felt slightly worried about reviews- but from our experience of the jalousie- the staff really love children, are friendly and helpful. we also went all inclusive and found there was an excellent selection of food to suit all tastes. the snorkling is amazing best we have ever done, and hiring kayaks and hobie cats are also fun. we didnt play golf whilst there though. with regards to trips the hotels rep offers a lot more than virgin did. we went on helicopter tour with family with young child (3) and they were happy to accept her- american lady who organises tours is great. beach lovely, villas clean, pool nice, overall we felt well worth going had best time ever.

6. Re: Jalousie update?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 21, 2009