We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

Hi!

I booked our honeymoon for August, and I have a few questions.

Firstly, I have heard about the Freedom bay developments. The Villa manager says building has stopped until next year, but I will be able to 'see developments'. What kind of developments will I be able to see from the villa/beach nearby?

Also, what restaurants are in walking/hiking distance? And how much would a taxi cost from the villa to Boucan or Ladera?

And bug spray! When I went to Texas last year, there was not a bug in that state that did not have a go at biting me! Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, any general advice?

Thank you in advance!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

What about Stonefield or Ladera? Will they be impacted?

Fernie, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

My best guess from looking at maps is Ladera for sure not, Stonefield unlikely, they look far enough away to me. But I can't find a great location map on Freedom Bay, and having never been there....really I shouldn't be saying LOL!!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

Bon jou cleopatra999,

Stonefield, Ladera and Sugar Beach will all be affected eventually as Freedom Bay's 45 villa mega-development will cover most of the Malgretoute area from the Jalousie Road (to Viceroy Sugar Beach) stretching from the beach up to the West Coast Road/Vieux Fort-Soufriere Hwy and including the Petit Piton...

Blessings! Paul

@ keithjwaz... FB's "strong eco-friendly aesthetic" is evident in their Slash & Burn of Malgretoute's mature rainforest to build vacation villas for the 1% while "giving back" (www.freedombaysaintlucia.com/node) digital photographs of habitat-threatened animal & plant species to future generations in the cleverly-named ARKive... www.arkive.org

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

@Congomon

The irony is in the nature of the changes that will likely come to the area.

When I was there last May, every time my wife and I went down to the beach there was never anyone around, except a local guy who offered to clean the beach for us for a few bucks, which was a really good investment at the time. This was a big contrast activity-wise to all of the comings and goings of tractors and road workers, hacking away at the site development work up the hill. It's as off no one really cared about the beach at the time.

Fast forward a few years down the road after the development goes in and the local beach will become the latest "OMG this is the best beach on St. Lucia" and tourists will flock to it and pony up $200+ per day to rent a ratty beach chair and complain that there are too many locals hanging around hawking mangoes, coconut water, and water taxi rides. Villa guests of the 1% clan will fly in on their private helicopters, dip their toes in the ocean, walk on the imported pink sand, and drink glasses of champagne at the "floating" champagne bar for $60 bucks a glass. For dinner, there's lobster flown in from Maine @ $200 per pound and you can get it any time of the year (that's sort of local food, right?) This is obviously eco-tourism at its finest because just consider all of the fine jobs it will generate :)

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

I'm staying at Villa Eluna right now (paradise, btw) and while there are some large signs for Freedom Bay that stick out in this peacefully under-developed area like a sore thumb, the actual work going on is quite minimal. I'm sure that will change in time.

Mindy

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

Enjoy Malgretoute, MindyKBoulder, while you can... Big up! Paul

17. Re: Honeymoon at Villa Eluna in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 14, 2015