We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

Hi,

I will be staying at Anse Chastanet and am looking to go into town to look around and maybe buy some stuff. I was wondering how can I get there? It doesn't look too far from the map. Can I take a Kayak from the resort and paddle there? Can I take the bicycle from the resort and ride it there?

Or if I had to, are there taxis that goes there? Does it even go there frequently? Since there are only two of us, it seem that I have to rent the whole taxi. I am not sure if it will be much, but most of the rates for the whole taxi seem to be $100-$200 for the whole taxi.

1. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:53 am, July 14, 2013
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

Thanks for the info.

Most of the time, I will likely be in the resort since we are doing scuba diving pretty much everyday, and have a breakfast/lunch/dinner plan. So the chance of doing tours that takes any significant amount of time are slim, nor will I be likely having meals there. Just want to check out a bit of local flavor when I have a couple of hours available.

Maybe I can swim from the southernmost tip of the AC's beach to town? Is it treacherous waters? It looks like 1.5 miles on google maps. If I was to walk, would it be along the path that runs parallel to the shore? Is it safe to walk?

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

You could contact AC to see if you could take the kayaks over there. I doubt you could with the bikes and you probably would not want to because of the really steep hill just north of Soufriere going to AC. Your taxi quotes are not accurate, even water taxis would not be close to that much. The waters certainly are not treacherous, but it is a cliffy shoreline nearly all the way from AC to Soufriere beach so you would certainly be on your own. On google maps, it does look like there may be some sandy areas to take a break, but not many. Even if you don't make that swim, It is definitely worth swimming along the cliffs on the north side of Soufriere beach, though, as the drop-off below water is amazing. You could do that from Soufriere, if you wanted. Boats are around, but most would not be near the cliffs so I don't think that would be an issue. Obviously most people would not consider swimming that, but if you are thinking you could handle a 1.5 mile swim, than it is likely doable, but obviously there is still some risk there. I would do it one way and walk back after some drinks and food. And wear snorkel gear to see what you are swimming over.

The walk is not bad, but it is along a road. The road is slow going for cars, so you would be adding on a smaller amount of time than normal by walking. It is not along the beach, but more or less along the coast above the cliffs. It is mostly shaded and since the cars are moving pretty slow, I would think relatively safe. Just move to the side when a car is coming. From AC, it is a gradual climb, until it bends left adjacent to the Soufriere Beach cliffs and then goes straight down a very steep, but short segment past the Still Beach House and Hummingbird Resort. Then it is just a short flat walk to the small town center. The Still has great lunch and Hummingbird is great for lunch and dinner, both are right on the beach. The town itself is pretty small with only a couple shops. I would be happy with a quick tour and then spend the time at Soufriere Beach and Hummingbird/Still.

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

To get from the resort to Soufriere, you do have a few options.

You could take a water taxi, which only takes a few minutes. If you go into town to run around, the water taxi guys will wait around for you or pick you up. This is a fun way to go, at least for one trip. Traveling by boat is fun, especially late in the day because the views are so nice.

You could take a car taxi. You could probably share a ride with other guests and save money.

You could walk or bike but the road has some good grade to it so it's a big workout, especially the grade at the start of the road from town. I wouldn't want to do this during the hot part of the day! You can't walk along the shore; walking is done on the road. The shore is really steep in places.

Swimming; I've swam from Soufriere beach to the border of the resort a few times and it's a big, big swim. The currents around the border of the resort area can get really tough, depending on the time of year. It can just sneak up on you, and makes you feel like you are swimming in a river with strong current (think upstream here). If you swim along the coast you also have to really watch out for a water taxis or speed boat because they zip along the coast and don't always pay attention. Hardly anyone swims here so they don't watch closely. The nice thing with swimming is that you can see some fairly nice reef along the way that most people miss out on. If you swim starting from the resort, the path is blocked by a rope to protect swimmers/snorkelers from boats coming in and the current. This kind of sucks (if you are a strong, experienced ocean swimmer) but does make sense from a safety standpoint. Because the area is blocked off you are stuck swimming in the "kiddie pool" reef area next to the resort.

If you are adventurous, there are spots you can enter the coast past the resort (heading toward town) where you can snorkel or dive and experience the real deal.

Going into town is well worth the trip, especially for the local food, markets, and people to hang out with.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

Thanks all for the info. Definitely a good idea to wear my snorkel gear/fins since the swim would be much easier and I can check out the reefs on the way. My wife was a little let down that there is no pool in AC so any time of swim in the ocean is a plus.

A combination of walking/swimming sounds great too. Too bad about not being able to take the bikes from AC, because once in town, one can cover alot more area on a bike, and the rough/steep terrain sounds like a challenge too. If it gets too steep, I can just walk the bike up.

I would have dove along the shore too, but they told me we can't do unguided dives from the shore, hence the bit of free time left.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
189 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

I believe Anse Chastanet provides a FREE water taxi to take you.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

from what I read, their water taxi just take you to the other beach Anse Mamin, which, if I was going to swim to town, would start from.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

No, I stayed there last year and there was a hotel water taxi daily (bar Sunday, I think) from the jetty to Soufriere. There may have been a nominal charge, but it's only a 10min boat ride. You tell them what time you want to be picked up and the boat will meet you at the wharf.

I don't think the watersports centre will let you take kayaks out of the bay. If you walk it's at least 30min, a bit hilly, but mostly in shade.

Previous poster is correct - there is a strong tidal rip around the point to the left side of the bay (looking from hotel). There is a safe area for snorkellers, cordoned off by ropes and buoys on this side, but the opposite side is not protected and if you venture too far out, can be hazardous because of boat traffic - just be aware and be visible when you snorkel. Once you leave the roped off area you have a steep headland, where the current is at its strongest and the water deepest, to get past. Then you're into the next bay, calmer water, and eventually, Soufriere.

There's not much in Soufriere: a few souvenir shops and restaurants. But there's a lot of street stalls selling fruit and spices, and the coffee - the same brand as you get in the hotel rooms,in the gold foil bag with Anse Chastanet bay pictured in the label - is glorious; it has a dark-chocolate aftertaste and I've not drunk coffee like it.

PS: one word of warning. Some of the public beaches around Soufriere are like a public toilet, human and canine. To prove it, I came back with hookworm last year. You've been warned.

Good luck, enjoy. It's a good hotel in a good location.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

Didn't do the swim to Soufriere, was told the current is too strong. Even diving underwater over the outmost point, the current is quite strong and requires a long swim before one reaches a section where one could take a breather.

Did take a hike from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere, via the peak between them Morne Lastic. Strenuous hike, but eventually got there.

While on Sourfriere's beach, I see the open sewage running into the ocean (albeit not much). I thought this was a protected marine park.

10. Re: How do I go from Anse Chastanet to Soufriere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 15, 2014