We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

Hi All

My husband and I are travelling to Jade Mountain in September and wondered what the situation was with tipping. Is it expected? How much? How often etc? If there are any past guests with some advice it'd be very helpful.

Many thanks

Kelly

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

We have always tipped when we have stayed a few nights. While yes, you have payed a service charge already on your room (and on your meal package if you have one) which covers the tips, we have always found the service to be extraordinary and have tipped. We tipped the Major Domos separately and in cash at the end of the stay. Each one received a different amount depending on how much we saw each one. How much is totally dependent on how good of service you received - another 10% would not be out of line, but again, totally depends on you and the service and experience you have.

We only stay 2-3 nights and tip at the end for the major domos. At the bars, we tip at the end of each visit/session there - say for the afternoon on the beach, etc., then when we are done and heading back to the room, tip the beach server and bartender both - not by the drink. We don't generally tip wait staff in the restaurant separately until the end, as we are always on the AI plan and eat a lot of our meals in our room - which the MD brings. If we have great service from a particular wait staff - or the same one for several meals, then we do tip them extra.

We also always leave a written note with management about any o fthe staff who were extraordinary - and that is usually everyone we encounter! They do receive bonuses and other recognition from the management for those things too.

All in all - tipping is not expected around St. Lucia, but it is appreciated. And cash is king, if you can manage it. Pounds, US, EC - all are welcome.

Enjoy your visit - Jade is amazing!

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

reedprincess,

What rate are you basing your or a 10% tip on?

What does a cocktail and beer cost at Jade Mountain?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

Basing it on the fact that you have already paid a 10% on your room (and separately on your meal plan) For us, our 10% for the MD was based on room price - and we have been told that they share it with their housekeepers. Whether that is the case for true - no idea. For drinks/meals - 10% on overal meal prices. We ahve always had a meal plan - so tipped off what menu prices would have been.

Menu prices are similar to Hotel Chocolat or Ladera or Jalousie or Cap Maison, etc. Beers in the $6-$8US range, cocktails in the $8-$20Us range, etc. Breakfast a la carte runs around $50-$75US for 2, lunch varies and dinner can easily run $150US and up for 2 depending on courses and cocktails, wine, etc.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

What room cost are you basing this on? The dollar amount?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

Specifically? None of your business actually. We pay a less rate than visitors, true. Whatever the rate, I would still recommend around 10% of the room rate.

I also truly belive - and advocate - that tipping is totally personal and each person is different on what and how they tip. The folks at Jade do not expect tips, but they are appreciated. And every guest has already paid their 10% in the service charge, which does cover basic tips. It is on the room and on meals or meal plans.

To each their own.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

If 10 % of room rate is going to the Major Domo and housekeeping, what then do you suggest they tip the dive master, water sport or other included activity attendants, beach chair/towel attendants and other helpful staff at Anse Chastenet, sail boat skipper, etc.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

Holy smokes Flowers - I was giving our experience. As noted above - I did site what we typically would do for our beach server and bartender, etc. We don't normally use any of the other services when we stay at Jade besides those specifically at Jade and the beach and beach bar during the day - so wouldn't have a baseline for those items. Also - as I said several times - tipping is not expected by any of them, although it is appreciated. What do YOU tip for these services at Jade or AC? Or, what do YOU suggest they do tip for these services?

I can only offer what we do. And I have done that. I suppose, if we were to take a boat ride, we would tip the driver around 10% based on the price of the charter (if it was a charter) If it was an included boat ride, then it would be another amount. Personally - and tipping is a personaly matter - we don't tip for everysingle service rendered every time. The service charge added by the resort for the room is divided up amongst the staff - as is the service charge on meal plans - or individual meals, etc. After that, tipping is at your discretion, whatever a person chooses to do. Again - it is not expected - this is not the US or other places where a tip is expected for every service rendered. Tips are appreciated, in whatever amount.

Hope that helps the poster.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

there is a very valid point to be made here, i feel.

if you introduce tipping on an american scale - say 10% of the cost of a meal- on top of a service charge, then the net effect will be inflationary, to say the least.

hotel staff in st lucia are not paid very highly. a tip of 10% of the room rate would represent a ridiculously high proportion of the minimum wage, for instance.

please try to keep tips real!

pam

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

LOL - very good point Pam - although they are paid quite well at Jade. St. Lucia in general is not like the US in tipping culture, much more like the British model. Most Looshans don't tip or will only round up the change or dollars to an even amount. The 10% service charge takes care of this!

When I said 10% of the room price - I didn't mean every day, or of the total. For those who pay the average nightly rate of about $1200 a night for 7 nights = $8400 or so for the week, the tips were based on 1 nights rate, not all 7 nights, so the extra 10% would be about $120, - not $840!!! That would be over the top! However, if someone feels they received that great of service, then feel free. As noted, tipping is very personal. And - as the 10% has already been included, anything over and above is extra. So - $20 more for a week is a bonus, as is $100 or $1000 - totally personal!

Good point Pam!!

Edited: 9:32 am, August 04, 2012
Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping @ Jade Mountain - St Lucia

Exactly pam

There is no relevance of giving out tipping percentage, unless someone is willing to share what rate they are basing the additional 10% on and to whom this rate is being distributed.

I hope folks are able to use their own common sense when it comes to tipping.