We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soufriere hotel

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Soufriere hotel

What is the name of the small hotel on the bay just outside town and just before the road up to Jade Mounain?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soufriere hotel

Right at the gap where the highway and the road to Anse Chastenet divide is both Hummingbird Resort and The Still BeachHouse. Probably Hummingbird you are thinking of - lovely pool, nice rooms, great food.

Hope one of those is the one you are looking for!!

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Soufriere hotel

The "gap" in Lucian means the corner or intersection. I looked for the "gap" for years before I finally clued in. There are thousands of "gaps" all over the island.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soufriere hotel

I'm pretty sure you're referring to Joan Alexander's Hummingbird. It was in the vanguard of properties establishing tourism in Soufriere. She's a wonderful hostess and her staff will take very good care of you. Nice pool area, great Creole cuisine and her batik studio produces some lovely things to take home as keepsakes or gifts.

www.istlucia.co.uk/index.php…

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Soufriere hotel

An intersection is a "junction."

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Soufriere hotel

Hey there caribculture; In the Oxford dictionary (used in St Lucia) there is no cross reference between "intersection" and "junction". That must be an American thing; just like "gap" is a Lucian thing. Just like "eh" is a Canadian thing.

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Soufriere hotel

I forgot to add that the Hummingbird is a great little resort for the budget sensitive visitor.

It is modest, has a fantastic view and has, in my opinion, the best kitchen in Soufriere. The principal chef David; Joyce's son, trained in London.

It is also home to Chester, deemed to be the best dive instructor on the island by anyone who has been there.

7. Re: Soufriere hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:54 pm, May 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Soufriere hotel

hummingbird

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Soufriere hotel

the hotel is called Hummingbird

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Soufriere hotel

@ deepglorydive

Eh is, also, a Lucian term, and is used instead of not or ain't... as in “How yuh eh goin'?”

A quick & high-pitched "Eh-eh" means surprise/excitement like "Wow" or "Oh"

A slow & low-pitched "Eh-eh" can mean “Hey” or “No” or “What you doin'?” or “Stop dat” (especially to children)

Lucians often use the word junction instead of intersection.