We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the heck are water taxis all about?

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
What the heck are water taxis all about?

OK, several months to go before our first trip to St Lucia and I will have zillion questions in advance. The concept of water taxis is brand new to me. If I understand what little I've read, you go down to a dock and look for a licenced one with the right numbers or letters on it and then what? Do they go where you want? Do they have fixed destinations and leave on the hour to get from Point A to Point B? What do they cost? We are staying in a villa in Soufriere and don't plan to rent a car for the full week. So we would want to take one of these someplace along the west coast to be tourists up North on the island for a few hours.

All info on these taxis operate would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,708 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

Water taxis are a conveniece from one nearby place to another. There is absolutely no schedule and no set fares. In soufriere - they are best for going from the Soufriere docks to one of the nearby beaches - Jalousie, Anse Chastenet/Anse Mamin, Anse I'vorgne, Anse Cochon even. USually they are the same type of boat that the local fisherman use - bench seats, no shade, no facilities on board. Hence - not comfy for a longer trip say to the north of the island! Also, most don't have lights, so no using them at night. some operators have nicer boats. Here is a link with loads of operators - you could check them out and decide whether you want to try them: http://uptodatestlucia.com/index.php ust type in Water Taxi in the keyword search.

They are not a ferry service or even used very frequently - mostly a conveniece between certain points - Soufriere around the beaches, Rodney Bay to Pigeon Island, Rodney Bay to Marigot Bay sometimes. They are more expensive than land taxis.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 1:03 pm, March 13, 2012
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

water taxi's are expensive but definitely very convenient and faster than driving the roadway up the west coast - I think I counted something like 14 hairpin turns between Soufriere and Marigot Bay.

Essex/Suffolk
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

Hope no one minds if I tag in a question about water taxis here. We will be at Windjammer and wondered if water taxi would be the best way to get to Pigeon Island on one day, and down south (mainly for better snorkellng we have been lead to believe) on another. Also, any price guidelines would be helpful. We're a family of 3. Many thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

From Windjammer your best bet is to take a land taxi - the roads north of Castries are relatively straight and getting to Pigeon Island by road is very easy.

Going to Soufriere and returning by water taxi could be a pretty expensive proposition. I suggest you have a look at a land and sea tour to Soufriere, which I believe is offered by Spencer Ambrose and possibly a couple other tour operators

Essex/Suffolk
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

Thank you for the advice.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

Karrieb,

We mainly use water taxi's for transport between the Jalousie, Anse Chastanet, Soufriere and touring along the west coast. I'll send you a pm

btw: I'm a Tybee fan too

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

EastCarribean Diving are based at Windjammer and can take snorkellers. It takes about 1 hour or less to get to the Piton area.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

Bon jou tout moun,

Seeing & visiting our island from a boat is, naturally, a unique experience and water taxis are the quickest & easiest way to get to most tourist destinations.

ONLY St. Lucia Air & Seaport Authority (SLASPA) inspected, registered & licensed water taxis have the right to "ply for hire" and display a large orange SLASPA registration sticker ON the boat (NOT around the Captains neck).

ONLY SLASPA water taxis have Coast Guard-trained Captain & crew, running lights, VHF marine radio, compass, life jackets, life ring, flares, air horn, fenders, etc...

Our water taxi - Tribute To The Lion - has a bimini cover, seat cushions, drinks cooler, fishing lines & poles, binoculars and more for the comfort & enjoyment of our guests.

Bless up! Paul

Boston
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

Thanks to all of you. Great info and I'm still hoping someone chimes in about costs. We do budget and don't splurge much so knowing "ballpark" costs ahead of time will be helpful and will help us decide if we want to rent a car at some point.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What the heck are water taxis all about?

The cost per person, for different types of transport & tours, depends on the amount of passengers, the schedule & itinerary.

Water Taxi tours offer small boats for couples, families & small groups with flexible schedules & custom-made itineraries.

Land & Sea tours offer large boats & vans for 10 - 25+ passengers with fixed schedules & itineraries (which can change due to time constraints).

For example...

Spencer Ambrose's "Jalousie Beach Break" with fixed schedule & itinerary for 12 passengers costs USD 70/per person round-trip.

Israel King's water taxi to Soufriere with custom-made schedule & itinerary for 2 passengers costs USD 125/per person AND for 6 passengers USD 75/per person round-trip.