We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helping the community while we visit

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Helping the community while we visit

Hi, I have the Soufrierefoundation website but its tough to navigate. We like to bring useful items on our Caribbean trips to help support schools and orphanages, hospitals,etc and wonder if there is another website we can check to see what we could pack and bring. Our first trip to St L in November will be a 35th wedding anniversary trip and we would like to do a "in lieu of gifts" thing knowing the relatives at home will host some kind of little party, asking people to bring xxx supplies that we could bring with us. All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helping the community while we visit

Pens, pencils, pencil crayons, crayons and notebooks are always welcome.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helping the community while we visit

yup - school supplies - especially notebooks, paper, crayons, pencils, pens, etc are all very welcome as are crafting type supplies - colored paper, scossors, stickers, stencils, etc.

The Soufriere schools were hit hard by Hurricane Tomoas back in Oct. 2010 and are still trying to recover. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You could also check with StLuciaDebs on these boards - she is based in Soufriere and would be able to gather info on what specific supplies would be wanted for the schools - along with school colors in case you brought ribbons for the little girls hair, etc.

Also - the Soufriere hospital is always in need of supplies - as is St. Judes, the main hospital for the entire south of the island which was destroyed in a fire in '09 and still has not been re-built (although they are working on it) St. Jude's is currently housed in the George Ordlum Stadium in the south of the island and uses offices and such for the operating rooms, maternity wards, etc. Medical supplies for there are always, always appreciated - you can check either earlier threads on this site for more info or their website for contact info.

hope this helps - very considerate of you guys to consider taking up valuable luggage space for gifts and helps for the local community. Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helping the community while we visit

Thanks, I appreciate these responses. We will arrive with some things for sure, just have to figure out what. If StLuciaDeb doesn't chime in, I will post specifically for her.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helping the community while we visit

Hi Karrieb,

I'm so excited for you!! Did you read I brought supplies for the school? Scissors, coloring books, pencils, paper, construction paper, crayons and puzzles packed easily in the suitcase. I then drove to the school and someone brought me to the principal's office to drop them off. I also gave a few things to the TH staff, as both Alvin and Charmaine have small kids. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helping the community while we visit

It would be good to know what ribbon colours to bring, plain or patterned, as they will not affect the weight of a suitcase!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helping the community while we visit

Yes- Jayne you are my inspiration! We do this anyway on trips so I was glad to see this in your trip report. Travelbug- thanks, we hope to hear from StLuciaDeb on school colors etc.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helping the community while we visit

You could PM StLuciaDebs or also PM Congomon - both would be able to help with school colors in Soufriere area and Choisel - actually most of the south. You would probably get a wuicker answer than just waiting and hoping they respond to this post.

Good luck and thanks again!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helping the community while we visit

Thanks Reedprincess, I did send a PM to StLuciaDebs last evening.

9. Re: Helping the community while we visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, June 18, 2013