We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

Will be visiting from a cruise ship and can't decide between Pigeon Island Park for its beach, swimming and snorkeling or Jalousie Beach for its beach and snorkeling. Also which walk is nicer, the Tet Paul Nature Trail or the moderate walk at Pigeon. Also which is easier to get to from the Cruise terminal and how much should the taxi ride be.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

Hi,

Pigeon Island is nearer. About 25 mins and about USD 30 each way in a taxi. Jalousie is about an hour and about USD 60 each way.

Jalousie is better for snorkelling.

I can't comment 1st hand re the walks and whilst I suspect Tet Paul is better I think you will struggle time wise to do that and snorkel at Jalousie.

STEVE

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

you could easily do Tet Paul and then snorkel at Jalousie - the Tet Paul trail is an hour walk/hike tops including time for pictures and just gazing at the amazing views. BigSteve is right in the times and prices.

Personally, if I had only one day, I would go with Jalousie and Tet Paul. The Pitons are a world heritage sight and simply amazing, absolutely iconic sights and what makes the island famous. Definitely a must see on St. Lucia.

Pigeon Island is lovely, but he snorkelin and beach are much better at Jalousie. While it is expensive to get to, the prices are for up to 4 people, so maybe you can share it. Tet Paul is only about 5-10 minutes past the turnoff for Jalousie, so I would go there 1st, then go for snorkeling. You won't be disappointed.

Both places are lovely, you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Enjoy your visit!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

Snorkeling at Jalousie is not the best I've ever seen. It was kind of disappointing overall. The Tet Paul walk is easy and the views are spectacular.

Haven't snorkeled at Pigeon Island and the views on the hike are very nice. The hike is a bit more difficult than Tet Paul.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

Not sure how true this is,but apparently the best snorkeling is along the cliffs off Soufriere Beach. Snorkeling at Jalousie is interesting - apparently it gets better beyond the roped boundary along the shore of Petit Piton. I would second reedprincess in choosing Jalousie and Tet Paul Trail - astounding views of the Pitons and surroundings. And you should not miss Sulphur Springs Park - take a tour of an active geothermal field with boiling springs and bubbly mudpots, then enjoy the therapeutic benefits of a volcanic mudbath.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

If I only had one day I would definitely do Jalousie. Pigeon Island is awesome but if you've only got one day you can't not visit the Pitons.

louisiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

We stayed at Sandals Grand, walking distance to Pigeon Island, and did the beach and hike there. Yes, it was interesting and hike was nice, but beach was not that great. We also took a boat ride to Jalouise and LOVED the views, beach, and snorkeling! we will also be in St. Lucia on a cruise in February and have scheduled a trip to Tet Paul and snorkeling and I can't wait. It is a long way from cruise ship, but you want to see the island and you will have plenty time if you are docked a full day. Research tour companies and you'll find a great trip available to meet your needs.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

You don't actually need a tour company - just a driver for the day.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

The tet paul trail has some lovely views, which just keep getting better... you are literally up high looking at the Pitons... and after all the Pitons are one of the best reminders of St Lucia you can get. It is the memory that I will always have of St Lucia....

if you go to Jalousie... there are free white sunbeds to the left of the beach.. where the snorkeling is... the area is about 10 yards wide.. and gets very cramped... the water is very clear at jalousie and you will see lots of fish, the snorkeling area is quite small, but goes out quite a way to sea along the side of the rocks...

9. Re: Pigeon Island or Jalousie Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 am, April 22, 2013