We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jalousie

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oporto
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jalousie

I am thinking to go to Santa Lucia with my wife and 5 years daughter end of March 2012 for 10 days. I have been advises to stay at the Jalousie. Could anyone inform if this is the right place to go with a child and if the beach has convenient conditions for a good snorkeling. Also will be grateful to know if there are restaurants near Jalousie in order to avoid eating every day at the resort. Thanks in advance

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jalousie

Jalousie Plantation will be fine for your family. While I have not stayed there, I understand the food is very good. I don't think there are many nearby restaurants, at least not within a comfortable walking distance, but within Soufriere there are many dining options. The beach is one of the nicest on the island and there's great snorkeling off it at the north end in a protected marine reserve. BTW it is Saint Lucia or St Lucia for short, Santa Lucia is in Cuba.

Edited: 11:46 am, November 10, 2011
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jalousie

Jalousie is one of the most stunning resorts in the entire Caribbean!!! Breath-taking!!!! The have a marine preserve that will make you think you're swimming in an aquarium. It's chockful of marine life because it borders the base of Gros Piton (If my memory is right.).

Is it right for a 5-year-old? It'd beautiful but the sea from the beach has a pretty steep drop off once you swim a ways in so be sure to watch her at all times. There are restaurants you can visit but know that transportation to get to them unless you plan to rent a car is going to cost you a few ducats.

There's Dasheen at Ladera, above Jalousie, I would not take the 5-year-old, as the best time of day to go IMHO is sunset and then dinner, Make a reservation for a table that sits on the edge of the dining room, You can go to Anse Chastenet one day by boat and have their buffet lunch. They have a marine preserve that offers great snorkeling; lots of tarpon. Then one day go to Marigot Bay, again by boat and stay for dinner.

One last recommendation, The Hummingbird in Soufriere. Wonderful authentic St. Lucian cuisine in a gorgeous setting. Tell Joan, the St. Lucian owner one of her many said, "Sa ca fete?"

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jalousie

I was at Jalousie years ago. Beautiful palm trees, lovely tropical setting,

nice spa,even a little golf course, not sure if its still there..The pool is right near the beach a perfect setting. The water is like silk with fabulous sunsets. Its right smack in the middle of the Pitons, on quite a windy road ride from the airport. I have to tell you I did not enjoy that ride. The hotel has a steep driveway to the main building. Most of the rooms are scattered up the hill. I would recommend the ones closest to the water, called Sugarmill as its a long hike on a hot day up to your room., they do provide a jittney.

There is nothing within walking distance, as you are truly in the mountains.

Dashene is directly above Jalousie, not walkable at all. I refer to Ladera as a big treehouse. Yes, dining on the edge of Dashene, wonderful food and

spetacular setting. One of the Superman movies had shot a scene in this setting-as Superman flew Lois Lane and landed at this spot. I must confess I have never seen it.

We enjoyed our stay, but felt very isolated. We did not like eating at the resort eveyday. We did branch out a bit--but unlike other islands this was the first island we did not rent a car. The roads were narrow, and not a fast trip by car to get to Castries. They did have boat taxis near the beach. IMHO

the best way to travel on the island. We did do all the tours the hotel offered.

So it really depends what you are looking for. I just checked out their web site and it gives you a great look at the beach.

Edited: 1:58 pm, November 10, 2011
Oporto
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jalousie

Many Tks you all

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jalousie

We stayed there with our 5 year old and 3 year old last year. They loved it. When we stayed there was jitney/shuttle service ALL OVER the resort for the days/times that the kids were too tired to walk back to our villa.

They loved the beach, the food was excellent, the staff was great to them, and they really enjoyed exploring the resort. Our 5 year old even snorkelled off the beach.

They also really enjoyed the kids club (wasn't quite up to par with what we as adults would have wanted/expected - but they liked it MORE than the kids club and Beaches). And the private plung pool at the villa was a huge hit.

I would go back in a heartbeat. It was relaxing for us and not too big or commercialized, and they had fun too.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jalousie

I think that the Jalousie would be a great place to go with your 5 year old. As Anita found there is a children's club and the children I saw seemed to be having a great time. The staff all seemed to love children.

7. Re: Jalousie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, November 20, 2012