We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystals

Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Crystals

Hi,

I just booked a cottage at Crystals in Janurary 2012. Has anyone ever stayed there or could give me some insight about the area? It sounds like this is an excellent place for diving, but how about just snorkling?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystals

have a look at this site - http://www.soufrierefoundation.org

There are several good places to snorkel - Anse Mamin, Anse Chastanet, Anse Des Pitons (Jalousie Beach), Malgretoute Beach and along the base of the west side of Gros Piton. Besides snorkeling there are plenty of other options for activities, such as hiking, jungle biking and ziplining, not to mention the mudbath at Sulphur Springs, various mineral baths and waterfalls.

Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystals

How about the Crystals hotel? Have you heard much about it?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystals

I've read good things about it, but no one has posted anything lately. You needn't worry, St Lucians are great hosts and you've picked the most beautiful region of the island. I'm sure you'll have a great time and very likely come to love St Lucia as much as the regulars on TA.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystals

The hotel seems to get mainly excellent reviews - I always remember this one as it stood out -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g147345-d4…

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crystals

Crystals is a beautiful spot. The cottages are beautiful, spacious and well equipped.

It is high in the mountains and you will need a car to get to the beach. It is about 3 miles from, and about 1,000 feet above the Hummingbird beach. The other beaches mentioned by gdbear are another 2 or 3 miles away. There is a dive shop at the Hummingbird where you can rent snorkeling equipment. I have never snorkeled but some of the best diving is off the hummingbird and piton walls

Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crystals

Thank you all so much for your insight. I just love this website!

Pembroke Pines, FL
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crystals

travlingirl61: I stayed at Crystals twice already (both times with my wife for our anniversary). The first time we spent a couple days up on the north end and finished up with a few days at Crystals. To me, the southern end (Soufriere area) is more to my liking. I'm from South Florida and can get the type of activities I found in Gros Islet, etc. by staying at home!!

Cabs are expensive in St Lucia. Even still, I didn't want to drive on those roads (especially not being familiar with driving on the "other" side of the street. While at Crystals I took a cab a few times. A couple of times Charles (one of the owners of Crystals) was kind enough to give my wife and I a lift. One other day we got a ride from one of the other guests at Crystals.

There's plenty to do in this area. Comments above are accurate. We did some snorkeling in a couple areas near Soufriere and also a couple other places heading north (while on a sailboat trip we took one day). The other things to do (mentioned by gdbear65) are all close to Crystals. Or..... you can hang out at Crystals and enjoy the wonderful accommodations, etc. We stayed once in the "Calabash" cottage and once in the "Papaya". Both were wonderful.

NOTE: We'll be going back next August for our 30th Anniversary!!

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Crystals

Monica and Martin will ensure you have a great stay. The snorkeling in the area is great and you can use Still Beach Resort as a base down by the beach. In fact guests come to the Still regularly for beach BBQ etc

Pembroke Pines, FL
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crystals

That's what I get for sending posts while I'm supposed to be working!! I called Martin "Charles". Well, close enough. It is his last name!!

Bruxelles, Belgique
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crystals

Crystals, soufriere

Which room is the best : view on the pitons, plunge pool, bedroom ?