We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

We're staying for 2 weeks and getting married at The Jalousie Plantation in April and have two questions.....

1) Some excursions seem more aimed at hotels in the North, bringing people to look at the South. Which paid excursions from The Jalousie are worth while or unmissable? Any reviews on the Sunset cruise?

2) Why is it that when most hotel reviews of The JP give 4 or 5, that there is always an occasional 1 out of 5? What is it that some people expect but don't seem to get, which gives them such a low opinion of their stay? Maybe regular visitors could help me with this odd trend.

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

Not a regular but we went in Jan and have a view on your second point. I think it's all about your expectations of a 5 star resort. If you're used to beautiful marble bathrooms with the latest fittings and fixtures, you'll be disappointed by the somewhat dated / slight shabby interiors and mark it down accordingly. However, if you go understanding that it's the location that's 5 star and the rooms are more like 3/4 you'll go with lower expectations and be wowed. We got a fantastic deal so went expecting to find out the reason for the price reduction. We never did, just didn't have 5 star expectations and weren't disappointed.

I also think it helps to do your research and understand your own limitations / preferences. We had a two year old and I was pregnant so didn't want to be walking up steep hills or be a long way from the beach relying on shuttles if we'd forgotten an important spade or toy. We therefore chose a sugar mill room knowing we'd be sacrificing a fantastic view / privacy. You can't have it all!

Have a great wedding

Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

Thanks Felix.

We chose the JP for its location as its the wedding pics that will be the lasting memories we feel. I agree with your views on the rooms, as we spent 2 weeks in Barbados a few years ago and I think we came to terms with the phrase 'shabby chic' then. It's the comments about the food that concern me in a way. If the resort was completely all inclusive do you think that the food would receive greater praise? Did you find that those who were all inclusive were more impressed than those who had to pay each time they ate?

Northampton/Frigilia...
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

Yes, the rooms are 3/4*. Bathrooms no more than 3*.

The location is out of this freakin' world!

Me, I spend 9 hours a day in the bedroom. 8 hours sleeping and 1 waking hour washing, drinking coffee and other things.

I spend about 15 waking hours outside my room.

Give me a tent in val des pitons or a mansion anywhere else, and i'd choose the former.

As for the food - its pricey. We chose all inclusive because one breakfast, salad lunch with a glass of wine, and 2 course dinner with a bottle of wine and coffee would have cost over £60 each, every day. AI was less than that and we didn't have to worry about the number of cocktails, afternoon teas, cokes on the beach etc.

I thought all the excursions looked good. I also thought they looked well over-priced. I hired a car and drove to them all. Much cheaper than the tours and for us Brits the petrol is half the price than in the UK. We liked the rainforest, the waterfalls and the sulphur springs.

Any of the cruises are spectacular if the weather is fine and clear and a complete waste of time if you catch a lengthy rain storm (which we did once or twice.)

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

Yes, I think people are bitter about the price they pay for something they don't perceive to be worth that much. Which is fair enough. Again it's about expectation levels for the price you are paying and the prices there really are very high.

We went all inc (hence often didn't even look at the prices) and found the quality was pretty good. I think the Americans pay alot for the all inc and are therefore still very aware of the costs / or don't do it. We (from UK) paid less than most quotes for room only so it wasn't a factor.

The buffet at lunch time at the beach restaurant was great (freshly bbq fish and meat) and the breakfasts were pretty typical of most resorts - fruit, eggs, sausages etc, cereals, pancakes, danishes - loads of choice and good quality. I think some people get concered about hygine because you do see some flies / birds around uncovered food occasionally.

Dinners were also pretty good, we only ate at the beach buffet once and it wasn't anything special but both The Pier and The Plantation were good in the evenings and if you plan it well, you can avoid repeating the same menu too much (I think there was a Thurs / Fri one, a Sat / Sun one and a Mon - Weds one although not completely sure I've got that right!)

Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

Great info from you both...thanks.

Expectation does count for a lot. How did you find the evenings? There is a group of us going across for the wedding so I'm not too concerned about cheesy entertainment every night. However, is there music on as a back ground when there is no entertainment? Is there a late night bar?

6. Re: Excursions from the Jalousie Plantation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 21, 2009