We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busses not reliable in the Soufriere area?

Seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Busses not reliable in the Soufriere area?

I read that in Soufriere you need to hire a taxi or rent a car as the bus service is not dependable at all. We'll be staying 1 week in the Soufriere area. We were hoping to use busses as our main transportaion to visit the area/island since taxis seemed to be expensive and need to tip on top of it. We're leaving next week for St Lucia so any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busses not reliable in the Soufriere area?

Hi buses are fine and definitely the cheapest way to get around the island. However, the driver often waits until the bus is half full before leaving a stop and therefore the timetable, such as it is is non-existent. I think there are two buses an hour that go from the South to the North of the island. Taxis are a lot more expensive but might be worth it if you are using one for the whole day, have an agenda of where you want to go and negotiate a rate!

If you are a confident driver renting a jeep might be the way to go, although it is not as relaxing as having someone drive you.

Good luck with your holiday.

Seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Busses not reliable in the Soufriere area?

Thanks for your reply. We have no problem with delays, we know that once you are out of the US the pace changes and we have no problem with that. We've seen a lot of it in different countries, it's part of the vacation. What i was worry about was not finding busses going to Soufriere until late at night or only running a few per day. We may hire a driver if we want to go to different areas for the day. I'm used to negotiate so will take your advice. We've rented scooters in Asia so driving is not an issue, but we're looking for inexpensive ways of transportation.

It's our first time in the Caribbean, and can already see prices are high for what's offered (compared to...say Asia) but i bet the islands would make it up on beauty!

3. Re: Busses not reliable in the Soufriere area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 01, 2009