We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jalousie plantation questions

Ontario
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jalousie plantation questions

Trying to find the perfect place for my husband and I to have our first vacation without the kids. Jalousie is looking really good to us so far. Love the location, the beach and snorkling sounds great. If you have been there recently tell me if you drove from the airport or took a hellicopter ride. How much is the hellicopter ride, how often do they go and how easy is it to get one(long waiting list ect.)......As far as the resort to the beach. how far or hard of a walk is it to get to? And what about to town? is a shuttle a must, can you walk there? If we were to rent a car, how easy is it drive around(my husband loved driving in Mexico)...What kind of boats can you use? I read kayaks, what about sailboats, windsurfing ect. What great excursions are there to do nearby.? Thanks for any imfo. you can give.Pasty

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jalousie plantation questions

Hi Pastywhite,

Just got back from my honeymoon and highly reccommend Jalousie. I also did extensive research on the hotels throughout the island located on the coast and Jalousie came out on top. We took a taxi from the airport and it was about a 45 minute ride and cost $80. The hotel actually has an office to do the helicopter ride which lots of people suggest for your return trip. We chose not to do the helicopter because your luggage does not go with you it is actually driven to the hotel. The beach was about 5 minutes from our villa #114. However, the shuttles were very fast to pick us up if we did not feel like walking to breakfast which or to reception when we were going out on a tour for the day. We had Anatus a taxi drive/ tour guide (whose wife works at Jalousie) take us on a tour of the waterfalls, drive in volcano and botanical gardens, he also stopped us in town so we could get our own beer and sodas to take back to the resort. That was great because we soaked in our plung pool and drank pitons for much cheaper than room service :-) They do have kayaks, windsurfing and snorkel gear which is free to use at the beach which was never crowded. I am not sure about use of sailboats. We did book a few tours through Sunlink in the main reception area at Jalousie. They arranged a water taxi to Castries (in the north) so we could get souviners and duty free rum :) we also did the canopy zip line and a sunset cruise through them and enjoyed them all. Most of the tours require a certain amount of people but if no one else books they are more than happy to arrange private tours for you. We did not rent a car because we were enjoying the local rum and felt much better with the taxi service. Maggie at the front desk arranged a taxi for us a couple of nights we went to Dasheene at Ladera and Mango Tree at Stonefield. They picked us up at Jalousie and took us to the restaurant gave us a card and when we got the bill we had the server call our taxi and by the time we finished they were there. We were able to drink as much wine or rum punch and get back to our villa safe and sound :-) I travel a lot and I can't rave enough about St. Lucia and the Jalousie. I did post a review which should be online soon. Hope I helped.

Ontario
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jalousie plantation questions

Yes you did corrina, thank you.....now I'm trying to get availability there....we are going just after Christmas. Wherever we stay I am set on going to St. Lucia.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jalousie plantation questions

If you're into snorkeling, than Jalousie's Marine Preserve will be the trip to the moon for you. It's like swimming in an aquarium!! TONS of beautiful fish. The property itself if breath takingly beautiful. The beach is lovely; its white sand is imported. There is a pretty steep drop off underwater that some less confident swimmers might find intimidating. Eden Bay's water is crystal clear. A beautiful pool is located close to the beach and Bayside Restaurant but I never swam in it. The sea was too tantalizing. Our trip from Vieuxfort was via ground transportation and a lovely 45 minute drive. Vieuxfort is a shorter trip than Vigie. The helicopter agent told us the ride from Castries to Jalousie is 8 minutes. Can't remember the exact figures but the helicopter rides are expensive. I want to say upwards of $150 pp. If you want to walk to the beach, you'll need to stay in a Sugar Mill suite or one of the villas in the 100's. You can walk but the roads are pretty steep. Be super careful if it's raining and the pavement is wet. My friend had a jarring fall waiting for transport in front of the spa. Overpriced spa services, $55+ for a manicure or a pedicure???? The town of Soufriere is too far to walk so be prepared for transport to be costly. I think it cost us about $50 to go to The Hummingbird for dinner. As to renting a vehicle, the roads are steep and narrow with no street lights at night. If he's comfortable driving on the left-hand side of the road and good with the brake in a standard shift than perhaps he'll be okay driving in SLU. The roads are steep and can be daunting.

As to excursions you have loads of options:

Have a boat take you to the marine preserve at Anse Chastenet. Some different fish from Jalousie. The also have a lovely luncheon buffet and gift shop with great swimsuits and postcards.

Take a boat to Marigot Bay for swimming and lunch.

Hire a boat to go snorkeling at Anse Couchon.

Visit the sulpher springs and/or Diamond Mineral Baths

Dinner at Dasheene was amazing. Great food, service and the view was dazzling. I just remember the moon turning orange before it disappeared behind the clouds. They are also renowned for their Sunday buffet, and while we had a lovely lunch there the view was more dramatic at night.

See the show and have dinner at Bang next door to Jalousie.

One of the highlights of the trip was a Lord Glenconner sighting one morning at breakfast.

Lovely dinner at the Plantation Room and the Pier, though the Pier salad bar left a lot to be desired given the price. Still the view of the sea was stunning.

The property's beach staff lead by Mary Forchette (I hope I spelled it right Mary...) is gracious, courteous and efficient. I'm a huge Jillian fan!!

The shuttle drivers are soooo polite and hustle to get you from point A to B.

The "villas" which are really like bungalows are so pretty. I loved 209's and 306's views. The decor is so lovely and watching the sun set sitting out by your plunge pool is awesome.

If you have any more specific questions, pls don't hesitate to contact me.

Enjoy your holiday!!! St. Lucia is a magical place and hopefully it will be like a dream come true.

4. Re: Jalousie plantation questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 31, 2009