We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Central NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

We are going to be staying at Stonefield next month and will be on their meal plan (breakfast & dinner included) so are hoping to stock up on stuff to nibble on for lunch.

We won't be renting a car and don't want to deal with getting groceries near the airport--we really just want to hike down to the little town in Soufriere and pick up some stuff (then probably cab back!) I have read in some of the reviews that there is a small, basic food store there--can anyone tell me what sort of groceries/beverages are available? Do they carry things like cheese, crackers, the local bread, peanut butter, jelly, milk, sweets, etc? Also--can you buy rum/beer at the food store? Or is there a separate liquor store?

I'd appreciate any specifics anyone can give me! Thanks so much.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Hi

We ventured in to Soufrière on a Saturday morning from Anse Chastanet. Saturday is market day where you can buy all sorts of local produce. There is also a small supermarket where you can get all the basics. It is quite well stocked and they sell liquor there too. They even have a fridge full of cold drinks and a freezer section too.

Hope this helps.

kansas city
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Green; The store is on Church street in Soufriere. They have little bit of everything. Just look for the church and it is North ( ahead towards the hospital at the end of the road) from there on your left. About a mile walk from Stonefield. Not bad. We also go there to get stock up.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like we'll be fine with what they have. I also appreciate the directions--not sure how comfortable I will be in town. I keep hearing about all these people/pan handlers coming up and askinng for money or wanting to give you some area history then wanting money. I know we can (and will) just firmly say no thank you, but still. I don't like that kind of thing, it always makes me feel kind of uneasy.

Knowing where I'm going when I get there will help! :-)

Thanks again

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

greenie...relax...there is a free Stonefield town shuttle that will take you directly to the market, at least once a day...at other times they will bill the $10US RT ( I believe that was the cost) to your room, and take you whenever you want. The walk back up to the resort is dusty, rutted, narrow and uphill most of the way...not a pleasant walk, as brian has suggested...but perhaps he is in much better condition than I ( not hard to do)...the market is typical of a third world bodega...be careful of items in the cold case ( use your best weapon; YOUR NOSE!)...liquor is unbelievibly cheap...about $6US for a litre of Presidential Rum...plenty of canned juices there to make your tropical rum punches...mmmm.enjoy!

kansas city
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Green Yes in town they will probably ask for money. Just say no and move on and they usually will go away. Some of them are pretty colorful. We never had a problem there and have a six sense when someone knows they been there and know were they are going. I don't think the walk there is bad but maybe get a ride back. Also the van driver in Stonefield lives in Soufriere and he would be glad to take you there. I believe he lives behind the church. Big time soccer player.

He loves Pitons beer. We had a lot left over and give them to him.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Great info, everyone. Thanks!

I knew about the shuttle from Stonefield on Mon-Fri, but as we are arriving late afternoon on a Friday, we wanted to get supplies the next day, Saturday. It's terrific to know we can get a ride, if need be, for $10 on any day. We thought we might walk down there but we weren't going to walk back up. We're in decent shape but we're not too young anymore (sigh) and I know it's a steep mountain/hill. Plus we'd have some perishables with us and want to get out of the heat soon after buying the stuff.

Will Stonefield come and get us to bring us back if we decide to walk down?

Maybe we should just be lazy and get a ride both ways--I assume they'd wait while we got the supplies?

Awesome price on the rum! Wow! Oh boy! :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

mmm...probably better to have them take you both ways...I can just picture you waiting for hours in the heat and humidity...waiting for "Caribbean Time to catch up with New Joisey Time" lol...and yes, they wait right there for you to shop...I think Andre was our driver at the time, and I gave him $10EC tip in advance ( about 3 bucks US)...like magic!

kansas city
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

Hell if you have to wait just breakopen some Pitons Beer and you will have found some new friends and the history of the place.,

Central NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

It's all sounding pretty good to me right about now! Thank you. :-)

New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Store in Soufriere-Question

We to are going to be staying at Crystals in Southfriere for 2 weeks, a holiday way over due! We stayed at Rendevous in St. Luica for our honeymoon 9 years ago.

This time around, we are hoping to rent a jeep. Does anyone know about jeep rentals and are they needed? I've read that a jeep is better than a car as the roads are pretty rough. We took a taxi ride once & I held on for dear life!! It was fun though..

The info on the market stores sure helped me out, thanks so much! We found the locals to be pretty nice people for the most part..

Thank you again for any help you can give us :)