We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pantime Steel Orchestra

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Pantime Steel Orchestra

Last February I was fortunate enough to hear the pan/steel drum practice in the pan yard in Gros Islet on the way back from dinner. It was a great experience to hear and see such a wide age range of players.

Does anyone know if they practice on a regular basis or which nights? I tried to email them at pantimeso@gmail.com which was on their sign, but got no response.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

Bon jou eastenderLI,

Yes, they practise regulsrly. Try leaving a message on their Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/…140802326002567

Bless up! Paul

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

Thanks Paul. I'm not on facebook. I'll have to pass by the yard and see if they are practicing when I am in town again in February. Looking back at my travel notes, I saw that it was a Saturday night when I saw them.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

Irie, eastenderLI!

The Pantime Steel Orchestra's mission is to develop young people through music and the steel pan art form. The band makes a significant contribution to Steel Pan & Culture in Saint Lucia through Saturday workshops (targeted at young panists), regional competitions and overseas performances throughout the year.

Once on island you can contact Cecil Tortee Philgence, General Manager at 452 5942.

Big up! Paul

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

Great info Paul. Sounds like Saturday is still a good day to stop by the pan yard

Gros Islet
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

www.youtube.com/watch…

you can check out this link . The piece they performed on Friday, July 12, 2013. they actually won the competition. They now hold two championship titles in the same year...Junior Champs and Panaroma Champs 2013

Edited: 10:28 pm, July 15, 2013
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

Irie, Fleissig75... BIG UP Pantime Steel Orchestra! Paul

@ eastenderLI... Did you hook up with PSO?

Edited: 11:49 pm, July 15, 2013
Gros Islet
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

actually, i am a member of PSO and played the winning tune on July 12. Did you listen to the test piece? that was superb! the applause from the appreciative crowd was overwhelming.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

Yea mon... pan movin' fahrward!

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

What a treat to see and hear the YouTube link provided by Fleissig75! Fantastic or should I say Pantastic!

Unfortunately I did not get to hear them practice this past February when I was in Gros Islet.

10. Re: Pantime Steel Orchestra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 18, 2014