We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster in March

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Lobster in March

We will be in St Lucia the last week of February, will fresh lobster be available to purchase and cook ourselves?

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster in March

Yes, you should be able to try some local lobster while here in Feb. The season usually runs from sometime in Aug-sometime in March. Dates vary from year to year. Feb though is pretyy much always still in lobster season.

Lots of places do it up nicely, personally, I like it straight off the grill at the Fish Fry in Anse La Ray - fresh and delicious. If it's available, it will be on the menu in a fair amount of places including Spinnakers, probably Buzz and Red Snapper, ChartHouse, Jaques, and so on.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
charthouse
charthouse
136 Reviews
St. Lucia
Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster in March

Is there a place where it can be bought from the lobster fisherman?

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster in March

Go to the fish market in any town and ask: they will get for you. I have asked many times at the Soufriere market and magically they end up on my front porch. The largest market is in Castries near the Cruise ship docks on the north side of the harbor. I am not aware of any "lobster fishermen" as you would find in Maine USA or Atlantic Canada. There are fishermen who will do their best to satisfy the requests of their clients. The spiny lobster of St Lucia have no claws like their cousins from the North Atlantic.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster in March

PS: The best lobster I have had in recent years have been purchased from the Great Canadian Superstore. There are at least 3 such stores in Edmonton.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster in March

I have been told that Carribbean Lobster is not like the ones in the North Atlantic. Smaller and slightly different flavour. Is this true

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster in March

Bon jou Edmonton_mamm,

Dat's true. Cold-water species v. warm-water species. Spiny Lobster have no claws & different flavor.

Bless up! Paul

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster in March

Bon jou FithwheelMarch23,

Fresh Lobster is only available during the season from 1 September to 30 April (fixed dates) in St. Lucia. February included.

Bless up! Paul

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster in March

Yes, Edmenton, Caribbean lobsters are different than North Atlantic lobster - ours are somewhat smaller, and spiny! The taste is somewhat different also - I can't exactly quantify the different in taste, but to me, the Caribbean lobsters taste "sweeter" somewhat - and are perfect without an extra seasonings, etc - just grill and eat! Google some pics to see the differences.

The displays at the Anse La Ray fish fry is great - if any of the fisherman come up with some good ones that day, they put them out for sale "on display", usually on banana leaves - and you can pick yours fresh to cook up - delish!

Definitely give them a try, enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
9. Re: Lobster in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, January 06, 2014