We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

Have recently read in a travel brochure that PADI qualified divers are all inclusive but a charge applies for 'others'?? Can anyone shed any light on this as we have been to other sandals and never been charged before as a on e of us is PADI and one is BSAC. I think it is very unfair if this is the case and is one of the reasons why we book sandals for the diving!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

I don't know what BSAC is, but likely anything equivalent to PADI is probably ok, like NAUI or SSI. If you can prove BSAC is equivalent, there should be no problem. I suspect what they mean is that if you don't have open water certification, there will be a charge for a resort course. Also, if you've been to Sandals before, this resort won't be any different.

We learned about a new rule Sandals has everywhere -- 1st dive no more than 30 min. Not clear why. 45 min boat ride to the Pitons for a 30 min dive?

If you're concerned about the issue of being charged due to the different training agency, contact the dive shop at Sandals Grande directly.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

BSAC is the british diver qualification, I think if you contact BSAC they will issue a communication that shows that BSAC is more than a match for PADI so that you can dive where BSAC is not recognised.

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

Thanks both for the advice . Will contact BSAC for their advice on the matter. Thanks again!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

Does anyone know if the Sandals PADI folks offers any of the Advanced Open Water courses? Wouldn't mind taking one while I am there.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

From the Sandals website:

Question:

I have done all the necessary classes to dive except for the open water dive. Can Beaches finalize my certification?

Answer:

Yes, but it's not part of the all-inclusive package. Speak to the dive instructor upon arrival. We offer the following certification courses:

•Open Water Certification

•Advanced Certification

•Instructor Certification

•Medic First Aid Certification

•Varied Specialties Certification

•Divermaster Certification

•Assistant Instructor Certification

•Instructor Certification

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

You can do either AOW or a specialty, depending on which specialty you pick. We did AOW with them in Antigua and a specialty in Bahamas. It would be good to contact them in advance so they can get the course materials, unless you want to obtain the materials at home.

7. Re: Sandals grande charge for non PADI divers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 09, 2010