We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

Hanna, Ike and Josephine were all churning in the ocean when we left for St Lucia on September 4th, 2008 for a ten night trip. We were concerned about getting out of Miami due to the closeness of Hanna; however the storms did not really affect our trip at all.

We stayed at the Jalousie Plantation (JP) in Soufriere (South) for seven nights and then The Sandals Grande for 3 nights in Gros Inlet (North). I highly recommend splitting the Island time between the North and the South. They are very different experiences. The North is more commercialized with larger hotels and party atmosphere while the south has the true Island feel.

St. Lucia is a lush, tropical Mountainous Volcanic Island. The Island is only 27 miles long, but because of all the hair pin turns. It takes several hours to get from one end to the other.

We arrived at the Grande around Lunch Time. Our room (2107) was not yet ready. Our first impression after the Jalousie was how luxurious everything was and how close everything was together after the JP’s 192 acres is was nice to not have to catch a shuttle to dinner and the beach. We grabbed bathing suits and headed to the dive shack to schedule snorkeling trips. You must sign up for these as soon as you get there and 24 hours in advance. If you like to snorkel sign up for the 8AM tour and the 1PM tours.. We had lunch at Josephine’s that day as it is air conditioned. We had pizza for lunch and fabulous pasties and cookies. We then headed for the beach. The beach at the sandals differs greatly from the JP. The beach is white sand and very pristine. There are no natural trees on the beach, so there is no vegetation, and no debris. Sandals rakes the beach every morning. It was like being in Disney. Everything was pristine. We did not plan to leave the sandals resorts as we were only there for 3 days.

That evening we headed to the Italian restaurant for dinner. This was my favorite restaurant. I had the lamb and Dave had Lasagna. Both were excellent. I was disappointed that White Zinfandel is not part of the all inclusive as this is my favorite wine. So we experimented with a lot of different drinks. I think our favorite was the dirty banana. Dave and I are both not big drinkers so we really did not do a lot of drinking.

The next night we ate at the London Pub. The background music was the Beatles of course and that was great. They then has a local guitar player come up who played Clapton, Neil Young etc. and some originals on the acoustic guitar. He was very good. The food in London was just OK, but the atmosphere was very fun. They have a billiards room attached to the pub and it is never very busy. We played several games of pool after dinner. Our last night at the Grande they had the Gala Buffet. It was excellent.

Sandals can keep you very busy. They have 3 Snorkeling trips every day. We went on one snorkeling trip the second day and then two our last day. The trips were fun. I enjoyed the boat rides. The second day we went to the Body Holiday at Les Sport both times. I thought the snorkeling there was excellent. I saw large schools of blue tangs. Schools of cuddle fish. They also have vendors who offer jet Skis and parasailing. We did the parasailing it was awesome. 20 minutes for $50 USD each. Sound like a lot for a little time but 20 minutes in really all you need. Sandal offers kayaks and hobie Cats. If you have never done a hobie cat it is lovely. A guide will go with you. Alva took me and another girl for a 30 minutes ride around the bay. Beautiful!! The kayaks, hobie cats and snorkeling and diving trips are free. The drinks are all free. You can go to the other Sandals resorts if you are bored. We ate, drank, fooled around, snorkeled and swan. What more do you want for a perfect vacation in paradise?

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

Astrid

Great to read your report nice and positive with good info, glad to hear you had a ball and i would suspect you would have a good time wherever you went, no moaning, no whinging just how it was.

Happy days

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

I wanted to add that I did not mean to really compare Jalousie and the Grande as they were very different experience. The Jalousie was intimate and romantic and you knew you were on a tropical Island. The Grande was Luxurious. I would not have changed my vacation in any way. I really think a split in 10 days between the North and the South is the perfect way to experience St Lucia.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

We took well over 600 pictures.

The link below as 150 of the best ones.

…google.com/astridwilson/StLuciaBest#

These were taken with my new water proof Olympus Stylus 850SW. Got it at Amazon for $250. Man how camera prices have dropped.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

Astrid...I want to thank you for your wonderful pictures. I'm over here from the JA forum, doing some research on the St Lucia Sandals, and I think your pictures may have just sealed the deal for me, as far as are next destination. I wish I could swim...your underwater pictures are terrific.

Very nice!!!!

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

Great pictures, particularly the underwater ones, I think I might have to look out for that type of camera for a Christmas present.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, even though they overloaded my computer!

6. Re: Trip Report for September at the Sandals Grande.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 10, 2009