We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals at Charles (Vigie) Airport (SLU)

Montana
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals at Charles (Vigie) Airport (SLU)

Just wanted to warn the TripAdvisor community about Fox Car Rental at the Vigie Airport near Castries. We reserved a mid-size vehicle through Orbitz from Fox for 4 of us traveling together with carry-on luggage and staying at Jalousie Plantation. The car we were given was a Mitsubishi Lancer. This vehicle could barely make it up the hills in the lowest gear and with no air conditioning. People were passing us, honking and very unhappy. On the way back -steeper hills coming back - we actually had to get 3 passengers out of the vehicle to help PUSH it up one hill! This was a scary, dangerous car to rent out knowing we had 4 people and were driving south to Jalousie. When I notified the attendant about the total lack of power to go up a hill, she said I should have called. We had no cell phone and public phones were nowhere to be found, so this was not an option.

The second major issue with Fox is that we were ripped off. The quote, including taxes was $472. We added a driver for $5/day, 7 days, paid for 2 licenses at $27 each, and we were charged $640. We argued about this at the counter and were promised to be refunded the difference but have not yet seen a credit on the VISA.

Between poor, underpowered vehicles and the overcharging by this company, we are advising the TripAdvisor community to STAY AWAY from Fox car rentals at Vigie Airport. I wish I could recommend an alternative rental company.

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals at Charles (Vigie) Airport (SLU)

Hi VGDreamin,

I just read your post and really wish I were dreaming :(

Let me apologize on behalf of St Lucia because for me 1 unhappy visitor is 1 too many and I feel your pain as it's awful feeling that you were ripped off

I've just googled Fox Car Rental in St Lucia & it appears to be a division of a US company.

If you've got a local # and contact person for them PM it to me & I'll make some inquiries for you so that insult isn't added to injury with you having to make long distance calls to follow up.

And once again I'm really sorry to hear of your experience.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Montana
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals at Charles (Vigie) Airport (SLU)

Thank you, Kirk, for your help and advise. I do want to update my previous note to say that Fox did finally credit out VISA for their overcharge, although it is a shame we had to point it out and wait days for it to show on the VISA bill. They are located right at the airport at Castries and we found them online through Orbitz. The other word of advise I gave - and I'm sure you can support this - is that any vehicle rented must be appropriately powered for the number of people and hills of St. Lucia, some of which get slippery in rain. It was so scary to have 3 passengers pushing our little Mitsubishi up a steep hill in the lowest gear available with the gas pedal "floored" when leaving the hotel, and the rental agent later asked, "why did you not call"...well, because our cell phone did not work in St. Lucia, and because there was no pay phone or building anywhere near the hill we could not go up! The four of us did not buy any souvenirs other than a bottle of rum, as we truly thought any additional weight would prevent us from making it up any hills!!! That is sad! The "mid-size" vehicle we were given would be fine on the flats in Castries but was dangerous in Souffriere and Canaries.

Anyway, the advice is posted for others traveling to your beautiful island, and I hope it will help someone; we live in the Leeward Islands and drive a Mitsubishi Pajaro stick shift, so we know what it is like to drive in the islands. St. Lucia is a challenge, but worth it to see the villages, the views, and to meet the people and enjoy all that the island has to offer! If we were to rent again, we would get a 4-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicle, powerful enough for four people with luggage, but small enough to negotiate smaller roads in villages. We would double check the math on the contract before leaving the airport, too.

Again, thank you for your very kind offer to help from your end, and maybe we will be able to catch up with you the next time we head "south"!

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
St. Lucia
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals at Charles (Vigie) Airport (SLU)

Hey VGDreamin,

Glad to know that it all got sorted out and I'm happy to have been there for you as I know first hand how great it feels to have someone who cares when things go wrong.

I'm no mechanic but it sounds to me like the car had a problem with the clutch as it should have been able to climb hills period.

And I know what you mean about the Pajero as I just sold a 3 door V6 3000cc manual transmission Pajero that served me faithfully for 13 years...and that's after having bought it when it was 5 years old.

BTW which island do live on? I grew up in Antigua. Left when I was 9 so the only place I know my way around is St. Johns.

Well when next you're in St Lucia I'll hook you up with a great car rental company and we must meet up somewhere for a Piton or two!!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
4. Re: Car Rentals at Charles (Vigie) Airport (SLU)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:46 pm, July 09, 2013