We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

My husband and I are looking for a place to stay in May (Jazz festival) and we can get reasonable rates at either of these 2 resorts.

I'm leaning towards the Rendezvous but have concerns about:

1. The planes from the nearby airport and

2. The atmosphere; I've heard from a frequent St. Lucia visitor- who's never actually stayed there mind you- that it's a bit of a trysting place. We're not into resorts like Temptations, etc.

Other AI resorts we've stayed at have been the Riu Naiboa in D.R, the Bahia Principe in the Mayan and the Riu Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta. We loved the Riu Palace for the excellent service and hope to experience similar service at the Rendezvous or Sandals. We do tip well and enjoy chatting with staff, if that makes a difference.

Any opinions on these 2 resorts?

Thanks!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

I have stayed at both resorts and can comment on both. Personally, we prefer Rendezvous. Not sure who told you it was a bit of a trysting place - it is a couples only resort and generally has a pretty well-behaved crowd, whatever that means! Basically, it means everyone has already come with a partner and if they canoodle a bit in the privacy of the gardens - well, good for them!It also tends to be a slightly older crowd - more 30s & 40s than 20s & 30s. We have never encountered inappropriate behavior, and we have stayed several times in the last few years. Beautiful gardens, long stretch of beach, great food at both the buffet and at The Trysting Place (which is actually the name of their a la carte restaurant, funnily enough!) Excellent service - with only 100 rooms, you get to know the staff and they get to know you - bartenders have your drink ready, no waits at bars or restaurant, etc. Keep in mind - no TVs in the rooms - the focus is on spending time with your loved one. They also have exchange privileges with their sister property, LeSport, so you can go and spend the day or evening there, dinner, try out their beach and pools, activities, etc. Transportation is at your own cost though. As for the airport - it is only small, prop plane aircraft and only a few flights a day - maybe 10 at the absolute most. They are over and past almost before you knew they were flying over.

Sandals Halcyon is a lovely resort also, the most low key of the 3 Sandals on St. Lucia. Beautiful grounds also, lovely stretch of beach, great Sandals activities, etc.Good food. Again, an adutls only, couples only resort and lots of areas to canoodle with your loved one, but again, never saw anything inappropriate. Exchange privileges with the other 2 Sandals and transport is provided with their shuttles many times a day, so you have all those extra dining options, beaches, pools, etc.

Both are great - we simply prefer Rendezvous for the more intimate property (smaller size intimate!), the service, the beach itself, the food, etc.

Tipping is a no no at both resorts - except for spa service (or butler service in that class of room at Sandals) Employees can lose their jobs over accepting tips. Notes and mentions to the management about great service goes a long way or gifts from home with a note. The staff at both seem to enjoy thier jobs and chatting with guests and getting to know them.

Both are great resorts, you would enjoy either one.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

Thank you for your detailed post!

You've put my mind at ease about both resorts. Can you also tell me which one would be closer to walk to restaurants or other attractions? I remember there was a mall quite close to the Halcyon.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

yes, there is a small shopping center across the highway from Halcyon. Rendezvous is about a 10-15 minute walk into Castries town proper with the craft markets, Blue Coral Mall, lots of local shops, duty free shopping at Pointe Seraphine or La Place Caranage, into Vigie Harbor for several dining options and of course all the local eats around Castries. You can easily catch a local bus outside either one of them to get either to Rodney Bay for more shopping and dining options or around Castries (although why bother with that option from Rendezvous as it is so close to walk!)

Hope that helps!

St Albans
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

Is there security at the Rendezvous as we are looking to book there for a few weeks time?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

Yes, there is is security at the front gate and security around the grounds and on the beach.

Enjoy.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

The staff will love to talk to you but if you think tipping will make a difference then The Rendevous is not for you. Its just not that sort of place. They treat you as friends not customers.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

Just booked rendezvous for a few weeks time and can't wait. Originally booked the grand st lucia sandals, but after some of the bad reviews and the fact that they treat you like honeymoon cattle I cancelled.

8. Re: Rendezvous or Sandals Halcyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Castries