We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

california
2 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

Hi Everyone,

I am getting married at the end of May and we have pretty much decided on a Sandals in St. Lucia as our honeymoon destination. I am working with a travel agent and am torn between the Regency and the Grande. Does anyone out there know of the differences between the two? Is the Grande that much better (I know the cost is a bit higher). Also, is there a real advantage to having a room above the premium level? We are looking into at least upgrading for an oceanview, but is it worth the money? Any help would be great, we are trying to book ASAP and I'm just very torn. Thanks.

Rebecca

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

We stayed at the Grande last year and visited the Regency. We'd go back to the Grande in a heart beat. Regency is nice, but for different reasons. I personally do not think it's as nice (just my opinion) as the Grande for my preferences. Here are some main differences:

1. Topography: Grande is on a flat piece of property - easy to walk everywhere. Regency is on hills and bluffs and some buildings require that you take a shuttle (if you are in high heels especially).

2. Beach: Grande's beach is superior to Regency.

3. Water sports: Better at the Grande.

Ocean view: you will look out the front of the resort, across the road to the Atlantic Ocean. I recommend Beach view.

Beach view: overlooking the grounds, pool, beach area and Rodney Bay with the sun setting in the distance.

We did the beachfront, penthouse, concierge level - loved having the mini bar, the top floor for the view and room service.

Some people really like the Regency better and will probably give you different views. These are mine. Hands down, I think the Grande is better all the way around. You should still visit the Regency and dine there, however. Restaurants are good.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

Rebecca,

Having read the previous posts I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I would be one of those people who would have a different opinion. We spent five nights at the Regency just last December. (We still have our tans!:)

We then spent the next nine nights at the Sandals Halcyon. During this time we went to the Grande three times. I would prefer the Regency over the Grande. The beach at the Grande is calm and the water sports are usually better. But the beach lacks any character. No waves, few mature trees. But, the sailing is good there and it is a big bay to sail in. However, Vigie beach, at the Halcyon, has good sailing and some waves and some character.

The grounds at the Grande do not hold a candle to those at the Regency. It is a toss-up between the Halcyon and the Regency grounds, in my opinion.

Gordon's Restaurant, free to butler room guests, is the best Sandles restaurant, hands down. We ate at Tuscannnis (sp.) and found it lacking in comparrison to Mario's at the Halcyon. Barefoot, at the Grande has great lunches. Armondo's, at the Regency, had the best antipasta bar and the Pier at Halcyon had a delicious dessert bar.

I guess you can look at all of the reviews and forum postings and see that everyone has their personal preferences. We have been to Sandals MoBay and Royal Bahamian and just recently to the Regency and Halcyon. Halcyon is our favorite so far, with MoBay a close second.

Don't rule Halcyopn out. It is only a short 15 minute bus ride to the others and the top room at the Halcyon won't break the bank. If you can swing it spend a few nights at two. Halcyon does not have a butler level so you would have to pay for Gordon's, but it would be worth it to us. Try doing a few nights in a butler suite. Expensive, but fun.

A word of wisdom; engage the staff wherever you stay. Ask about their families, their island or just how they like there job. Remember their names. You will find the St Lucian people very warm with a great sense of humor.

The concierge staff at Halcyon are top notch.

You can see my pics at: Webshots.com. Just do a search for: "dutchor", and then click on: "newest first".

Hope this helps, Dutch in Oregon

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

dutchor, I found your pictures of St.Lucia on web shots a bit back on my endless search for St.Lucia pictures! Great pictures and sunset shots.

Glad to see your a poster here, as I was bewildered with the breakfast on your patio shot at Halcyon? Have they now added "room service" for rooms at Halcyon? Concierge or others?

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

Flowers,

Thanks for the compliment. Just 100 pics out of 450!!

Concierge at the Halcyon gives you one morning breakfast room service. A pleasant surprise we were not expecting. Also, on Thursday, from about 10 am to 1 pm, the conceirge have a shopping trip to Castries for their guests. another surprise we were not expecting. (I guess if we were expecting it, it would not be a surprise!)

We had the Penthouse Suite (third floor corner, over the bluff pool, Room 880). Beautiful room. We had booked this room but were upgraded the first night to a cliffside plunge pool room. Next day we switched to the Penthouse room. much better, with double tub jacuzzi.

The Honeymoon Beachfront w/conceirge at the Halcyon was not in the same class at all. Much smaller and one room. But the patio was great and we went to sleep every night listening to the surf.

You can't do that at the Grande because there is no surf.

you can email me if anyone wants more info.

dutchor@comcast.net

Dutch in Oregon

california
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

Hi Dutchor,

Oh no, now I have another resort to think of! I don't know that the butler service is in our budget! Although it definitely sounds enticing. Thanks for the input, it sounds like everyone has their reasons for liking the resorts and I really don't think we will go wrong at any of them. For the price, the Regency seems like a pretty good deal. It is 50% more almost to stay at the Grand. Thanks again for the input.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

actgrl22

I would agree with Sleeepy on this one. But again-personal preference. (I am in my mid 20s)

We stayed at the Grande in December for our honeymoon. The resorts are both wonderful. But I found the beach at Grande to be nicer. At the Regency you have to go down a bunch of stairs to get to the beach. At the Grande it is just a walk from the pool. At the Regency is it very hilly and spreadout. If you are staying in the bluffs you have to take shuttles down to restaurants and other pools (especially if you are dressed up) There are pools on the top of the bluff, in the middle and below-that was pretty neat. Again...depends what you want?

At the Grande, we booked a Lagoon room and we ended up getting a view of the Atlantic, which for my husband and I loved. We felt we were upgraded and we were happy to have tile in our room and it was very clean and comfortable.

At the Grande I also felt they had more activities to do. You can ski and tube and Pigeon Island is next to the resort so you can pay $5.00 pp and get beautiful views of the Altantic and Carribean and climb the peaks. The Regency you cannot swim in the ocean every day either because it gets to rough. The Grande is located on a peninsula so it is calmer.

Also make note that there is construction at BOTH the Regency and Grande right now. Not sure on the Halcyon-we didn't visit. At the Grande it never bothered us once. At the Regency it seems more noticeable, walkways being redone and pavement work, etc. Grande they are also upgrading ALL rooms right now. So by the end of 2007 they should be completed. New beds, curtains, mattresses, tvs. Should be great. So at this time, I didn't feel the upgrade would be a thing I personally would do. You aren't in your room that often anyhow. We were there to shower, change and head back out for dinner or relax by the pool/beach.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Grande. Don't get me wrong, the Regency is nice. But it is very spreadout and it just depends on what you want for your trip. Enjoy your time in St. Lucia. We had a blast and I miss it already. The island is wonderful. Your trip is what you make it. People tend to be a little picky and you have to just remember where you are and who you are with. ENJOY!

Fallwedding

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

The 2 resorts are somewhat different and fits different tastes. They are both Sandals, so services are the same. Sandals has 3 propriety in St-Lucia, that fits 3 different types of people. When we visited St-Lucia we saw the 3 Sandals(Regency, Grande and Halcyon). We stayed at the Regency and were glad we picked that one, because that's the one that fitted our tastes the best.

Regency is spread out, hilly and very lush with tall trees and lots of flowers. Animation at the main pool and relaxed at the other 2 pools. Beach can have rough water at times. Clear view of the see.

Grande is flat, big grassy area, no tall trees, very animated and we found the buildings to have a generic look (but that's us). Calm water all time. Lots of small boats anchored in the bay.

Halcyon is small, flat, relaxed and found it close to the road. Water can be rough at times. Clear view of the see.

I would not say that any of the 3 are really better, but different for different tastes. Don't forget that you have the free shuttle that let you enjoy any of the 3 resorts during your stay.

For a 50% price delta, I would pick Regency hand down without hesitation, but that's me. You will probably find as many people prefering the Grande over Regency and Regency over Grande.

We had a Luxury Ocean View room(very central) and were very happy with it. The view was goergious from our big balconny (our room was located right behind the Piton Restaurant (about middle of location 8 on the Regency map (2nd floor of Honeymoon Oceanfront suites)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

I would go with the resort that prices the best. price. The premium rooms at Regency were just redone this time last year and have flat panel plasma-type tvs and upgraded bathrooms. They are a stones throw from the main pool and the beach. They are convenient to the main areas of the hotel and all restaurants except Kimono's and Armando's. Those do require a shuttle up to the bluffs.

We were this past February and loved it.

You do not need shuttles to get around the resort as a rule -- just to go to those two restaurants if you are staying in the main part of the resort.

We shuttled over to the Grande and it was beautiful too but we didn't believe that it would be so much better to pay the difference in price for it over the Grande or Halcyon.

After our trip, we decided that when we return to St Lucia, we will let price be our determining factor of which resort to choose.

You will not be in your room very much but out enjoying the resort so why pay more.... That is our view.

For what its worth, we've been 2x to Sandals Royal Caribbean, 2x to Sandals Whitehouse, 1x to Regency and are booked for Sandals Antigua this spring. We've also been to Secrets Excellence Riviera in Cancun, Mexico (Now just Excellence Riviera). The Regency is as nice if not nicer than any of these resorts. What keeps us going back to Jamaica is the flight time vs the flight time to St Lucia.

Let us know what you decide.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

dutchor, thanks for the response. That would be a nice addition for the Halcyon to add room service.

Loved your surf pictures at Regency also...

You might get a kick out of this surf picture from the Sandals Regency I came across!

…verizon.net/eegad/stlucia/stlucia21.html

calgary
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Grande vs. Sandals Regency

We just got back from the Grande and visited the Regency while we were there. No question, the Grande is superior due to the great location and great beach.

Don't be fooled by "Oceanview" It is on the back of the resort facing the ocean to the north not the beach to the south. The rooms are always in the shade on that side and have a view of the parking lot and the road in. Upgrade to something that says beachfront not oceanview.

The people are fantastic and the resort is great.

Look for Sara lee at the Avis desk. she's wonderful and her cousin Al at the bell desk as well.