We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandals grande room categories

ontario canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sandals grande room categories

We will be at the Grande in April. We were married 5 yrs ago at Sandals Montego Bay. We decided to go with the Pigeon Island building on the 2nd floor oceanview because of a tripadvsor review. Is this a mistake? Hopefully we will be upgraded. Any thoughts?

Sanborn, NY
Level Contributor
425 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sandals grande room categories

As long as you know what you're getting...

OCEANview looks out the BACK of the resort. If there is a back. It looks out over the Pigeon Island causeway and access road and way off in the distaqnce (about 20 miles) you can see Martinique.

All of the rooms are the same size pretty much unless you get a suite and there are only a few of those.

If you want the view of Rodney Bay then you'll want a BEACHview room instead of OCEANview.

Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandals grande room categories

Yardbird, Can you request a beachview if you have the delux package? thanks

ontario canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandals grande room categories

Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully we will be upgraded then as a Sandals return guest. Not gettting any sleep here..too excited. The next category of rooms would be beachfront and then oceanfront concierge. I guess we'll have to see what happens. So is it worth going to see the other Sandals resorts?

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sandals grande room categories

You can get a free upgrade if you are returning guests as well as Signet Points for $$ off the price of your package. If you have not already done so, go to their website and sign up to register as a Sandals Signature Guest. (SSG). There is also a managers dinner party. If you have a TA, they may be able to do it for you, I registered on-line.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sandals grande room categories

yes, unfortunately we do have a travel agent. We tried to use our signature points when we booked and paid for the trip. She didn't realise what they were for and we didn't question it. If we had used them we would have been in the BEACHfront room. We wrote to Signature points and they have at least added this trip for points for our next vacation and have notified the Grande that we are return guests. We couldn't use them this time :( Thanks for your reply. Hopefully we will have a good trip compared to what seems to be a lot of bad reviews.

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sandals grande room categories

I still think they will upgrade you as you are returning guests. The signet points do not expire, if you go to Sandals again, you can still use them. Have a great trip. You will be fine there. Some of the things people complain about in those reviews crack me up, having stayed at the Regency twice. Just don't let little things bother you. Some complaints are legitimate and some are just plain picky.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandals grande room categories

So how about our pick of Pigeon Island building? If we aren't able to be upgraded is this the best building for oceanview? The lagoon buildings seem to look onto a parking lot and the tennis courts by the Sandals map. If an upgrade is possible - what do you think our choices are?

Sanborn, NY
Level Contributor
425 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sandals grande room categories

The oceanview out to Martinique from the Pigeon Island building should be ok. Monchy building is Ok too (by the lagoon pool) and I really don't think you'd notice the parking lot. It's not a busy parking lot and the tennic coursts are far enough off to the right (as you'd be viewing from the balcony) that I don't think you'll notice them any more than you'd notice the service buildings off to the right if viewing from Pigeon Island building.

Here's the straight skinny on the view...

The only time this will matter is when you're in your room spending time out on the balcony. We did this at breakfast when we had room service breakfast. That's really about it. We didn't sit out on the patio at night as we were out by the beach or main pool area or in one of the restaurants. For a really nice view of Martinique, take a stroll down the driveway and out of Sandals' entrance and straight across the road. From there you can hear the surf pounding on the rocks that make up the outer causeway section and you see Martinique's lights twinkling like stars over the ocean at night.

Now turn around and walk back into Sandals... straight through now, no stopping until you're on the beach. Ahhh... there we are. Now you see Rodney Bay, the lights of Gros Islet, and anchored off shore a bit are catamarans.

The point is that you'll always have the best view OUT of your room. Not from it. :) So get out there and see St Lucia. I think you'll be fine whether you're in Pigeon Island or Monchy buildings if you have second floor or higher and oceanview. Watch for hummingbirds in the gardens.

The view from your room is a very small piece. You'll be fine.

Sanborn, NY
Level Contributor
425 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sandals grande room categories

Oh, and mrmilligan... I'm about 10 minutes from the Queenston-Lewiston bridge if you've got a mind to stop down here in the states and have a look at photos and chat with my wife and I about Sandals Grande and St Lucia.

But I know you're going to have a grande time...

cool runnings,

yardbird

ontario canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sandals grande room categories

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I had found this site ages ago. I know my husband and I will have a wonderful time. I'm stunned at all the bad reviews. I look at Montego Bay reviews as well as we enjoyed that soooo very much. Our room then was an Oceanview room (they've changed it to concierge service now)

and you couldn't get a better view. The reviews for that Sandals are poor as well. I just can't believe some people. Once again thanks soo much yardbird and brenda!!! I'll make sure to write when I get back!