We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

MANSFIELD
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

We were visiting St. Lucia for several weeks and staying at a Villa in the area of Marisule Estate.

St Lucia is a friendly island and we have been visiting several nearby hotels in order to sample their restaurants , and have always felt welcomed at every location.

Unfortunately this was not the case at your Sandals Hotel located near Pigeon Island.

We four tourists were walking along the beach from The Landings when my husband turned toward the hotel from the beach area. He had not stepped on your pathway when a uniformed guard ran toward us shouting that we were trespassing .I told him politely that we were well within our right to walk on the beach anywhere in St. Lucia. There is a law that clearly states that no one can own 150 ft from the high tide area.

The guard continued to "bully" us and with an intimidating attitude ,suggested that I was "challenging " him. I responded that I was certainly challenging his incredibly rude manners.

Your guard created an embarrassing scene. . Your guests, (those who witnessed this )were ,no doubt, shocked that 2 white Canadian, middle aged couples, who were neatly dressed, polite and non threatening were being treated /harassed in this manner.

I intend to pass these comments along , and I am sure that others ,who would consider staying at one of your hotels, may reconsider after this outrageous

incident.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

Wow!

You are quite within your rights. That is very naughty attitude from Sandals. Beaches in St Lucia are public and Lucians and tourists alike have a right to be there! If security thought you were about to trespass on the hotel grounds then he may have a point but there are polite wYs of dealing with this !

Edited: 6:06 pm, February 19, 2014
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

Bon jou rdlatter,

Sandal's has a loong history blocking beach access...

Bless up! Paul

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

I am sooo sorry to hear about your experience. I absolutely do not see any reason why there should be any restrictions on walking the beach or having beach access. That's rather sad. Hope this issue is sorted.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

Yes, Sandals does have a long history of trying to make that beach area private. Sorry for a lousy experience, but if you were walking towards the hotel, the guards do have the right of way to redirect you from hotel grounds. I guess I was just a bit confused where you say your husband was walking towards hotel grounds - why? And after the guard stopped you, why not just continue down the beach instead of arguing with him. Granted, security guards are not always the brightest buld in the pack or known for their personalities, but why continue any confrontation instead of just continuing your walk down the beach? The beach is pretty wide there, no real reason to walk towards hotel grounds or whatnot. Once he made a commotion, just keep walking on. As an aside, what does being Canadian or white or neatly dressed have to do with anything? Not looking for an argument, just wondering why that was a point you felt the need to make.

It is an unfortunate occurrance, and obviously the security guard should have handled it better. Sorry it marred your trip.

Edited: 12:10 pm, February 20, 2014
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

why do you say "white"? You imply it might be more OK to hassle black people. Why the need to mention race?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

There are a lot of shades between white and black, but for the life of me, I don't know why people choose to identify themselves and others this way - we're all human. I'm sure rdlatter didn't mean anything by this. I have a friend who similarly likes to identify people when he talks of them - he's not prejudiced, just very accustomed to making this type of distinction.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,330 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

Reedpr, as always, good response. I am very concerned about why white and Canadian has anything to do with the OP's experience or why it was necessary to even mention it. And yes, the beach is public in most Caribbean islands that we have been to. Also, I understand that at some point above the high water mark the land is the property of the owner, not sure what the legal distance is though. If you appeared to want to continue on the owners property then they would have the right to address you. Also, what is the continued "yours" in reference to? If there was an inappropriate approach by the guard then certainly you have the right to report that to the management. Again, Reedpr's comment about simply walking away sounds to me to make good sense.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

Maybe it was the walking towards the hotel bit that sparked it.

9. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:22 am, February 25, 2014
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian tourists get bullied by Sandals employee

Hmmm... Many locals believe they (especially the darker shades among us) are not welcome on the public beaches adjacent to Sandal's properties. Thinkin' rdlatter overstandin' Sandal's, St. Lucia and Lucians very well.

Blessings! Paul