We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Considering an all inclusive for just my husband and I. We have narrowed down to these 3 but have concerns at each one. Here are my concerns:

Sandals - many complaints about finding chairs unless utilizing a butler. Also no room service unless you have a butler??? So if you want a late night snack and you have no butler, are you just out of luck???

Windjammer - it's on the Atlantic so is the beach not as pretty? Also, it's family oriented so I'm worried about loud little kids (we have 3 and they are NOT coming on this trip for a reason lol).

Rendezvous - few food choices. Can't find any info on room service (late night snacks are a MUST!).

Can anyone help with these choices. I realize some of these issues may be trivial but this is our getaway so I guess I'd rather know up front than be disappointed upon arrival. Thanks for any advice!!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Sandals - no problems finding chairs at any of the resorts ourselves, and we are late risers. Yes, Butlers can save chairs for their guests, but if the guests don't show by 11, the chairs are fair game. We've always had a butler, but never bothered with the chairs as we are never out and about till noon - and we've always found great seats by whichever pool or beach we wanted. ES hour room service only for butler guests, room service till 10pm for Club level and no room service for standard rooms. The Pub restaurant is open late and has food available till close (wings, fish & chips, etc) and they will package to go.

Windjammer - not on the Atlantic. It is most definitely on the Caribbean side. Yes, a family resort. Not a traditional AI with the various included activities, etc - but some nighttime entertaiment and daily activities. It's an add-on meal plan.

Rendezvous - no room service at all regardless of room level. No late night food, once dinner is over, that's it. The champagne piano bar is open till the last guest drops with some snack mix maybe, but that's it.

Personally, of those 3, our choice would be Rendezvous, followed by the other 2 in toss up order, depending on whether we wanted adults only or not. And we too are night owls and close the bars, and have never had a prob with the late night/no food thing at Rendezvous.

They are all great resorts, enjoy whichever you choose!

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Reedprincess thank you for your help. What's the main reason you would choose Rendezvous? We have traveled a lot but only stayed at one other AI in Mexico. It was great but we were only there for 4 days. We get bored easily and the one in Mex didn't have much to offer beyond sitting on a beach or at a pool, eating, and a spa. No water activities and didn't want to leave resort due to danger. We are planning to be in St Lucia 6 nights. Thank you again for any advice.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Emilytravels, I can't comment on Sandals or Rendezvous but being an owner of a timeshare there I know Windjammer pretty well.

There are a few things you need to bear in mind, Firstly, it has a kids club & is very family orientated, if you have the misfortune of being there as we were during a school holiday, it will not suit you if you don't want gangs of children unsupervised roaming around the resort. We were woken up every morning at 7.30 by a group of 6 unaccompanied young teenagers using the pool, even though it isn't supposed to open until 9.00. When we reported it the resort failed to do anything. Around mid morning they used to move to the beach where sand fights were a daily game! Windjammer offer lots of very cheap deals on their AI plan for families so they do attract alot.

There seems to currently be an issue with getting a sun bed. A friend of ours is there now & has found that all the sunbeds with any shade are reserved by 8.00. This was also an issue for us when we were last there!

Finally Windjammer is doing a major expansion & is closed for all of September. How much inconvenience occurs leading up to this time is any ones guess. The work is already under way & from the pictures I've seen, & reports from friends there is some noisy & general disruption already.

Don't want to sound negative but I'd hate you to go & be disappointed.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Emilytravels: of those three AI options, Rendezvous is our first choice for service, food quality, and size, atmosphere, plus the beach is lovely. We too AI in MX (Cancun/RM specifically) and have never felt unafe to leave our resorts - there's lots to see and do around the area!

However, I've seen in your other island posts that you don't like AI resorts, so I'm curious why you were only enquiring about AI for St. Lucia? There are loads of Excellent non-AI properites all around the island that may suit much better. St. Lucia is safe to travel around on your own and enjoy the different sights and experiences, so staying non-AI is a great way to go to enjoy different dining options, different entertainments, etc.

Consider the Soufriere region, which is the heart of the island and by far the most scenic with stunning views of the Pitons and rain forest, volcano and waterfalls at your doorstep, gardens, mineral baths, mud baths, hiking all outside your door with snorkeling from the beaches, etc. Sugar Beach, Anse Chastenet, Ladera, Jade Mountain are all luxury properties with Piton Views. Hotel Chocolat is unique boutique property with a backset view of one Piton. For less expensive, Hummingbird Beach Resort and Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, Stonefield Estates are all excellent. Guesthouse (B&Bs) are also great choices: La Haut or Crystals or Mago Estate are all great.

Good luck with your research and enjoy wherever you end up!

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Yes normally we don't do all inclusives however St lucia seems to have a lot if activities/adventures we would like take so we don't want to be bothered worrying about food. If we spend all day out exploring, we would like to come back somewhere and know that food and drinks are available to us. When considering Turks there wasn't much to do other than go eat or beach/snorkel so we knew we would want to venture out more in regards to food. Does that make sense? Lol. We have also considered BodyHoliday LeSport if anyone has experience with them? I think we have eliminated Windjammer. Thanks again for all the great advice!!!

Edited: 12:12 pm, February 12, 2014
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Makes some sense, although food and drink is fairly inexpensive, even at resorts, especially compared to T&C, and almost all hotels offer meal plans, either MAP (breakfast & dinner) or AI, with all food and drinks. It could be worth checking.

LeSport is another excellent AI, a sister property of Rendezvous - would be our second choice for AO/AIs on the island, especially if you just want to relax and stay around the resort. The included spa treatments are great, and the activities around the resort are incredibly numerous! Keep in mind - it is located at the far north end of the island, about 1.5 hour drive from any of the main attractions of St. Lucia such as Pitons, volcano, snorkeling/diving, hiking, waterfalls, etc. Be prepared to spend a lot of time getting to/from anything. For that matter, all 3 Sandals and Rendezvous are also in the north, about 1-1.5 (depending on resort) from the main attractions. There are a few things in the north to explore such as Pigeon Island and the Rainforest Adventure zip line course and aerial tram ride. Also, RB marina for some of the boat trips (excellent operator out of Soufriere also)

Good luck with your research - there are a lot of islands and each island has lots of accommodation options, it can be daunting. Best to narrow down what it is that is most important to you, and budget, then pick from there. Enjoy your trip.

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Direct flights are the key factor for us at this point. Our choices from ATL are St Lucia and Turks. Other direct flights we have been to already (USVI, BVI, Cancun, etc).

Edited: 12:33 pm, February 12, 2014
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

I can see that. I meant what was most important from the vacation experience, on the actual island though - overall, the islands present 2 very different options, and within each island, again, very different experiences - so narrowing down what is most important for your trip (after direct flight) would help decide: beachfont or beachview, AI or not, luxury or more comfortable budget friendly, near activities & what sort of activities, resort, guest house or condo, rent a car or take tours, overall budget, etc - those sorts of things will help you decide.

Both are great islands with wonderful things to do - just very, very different in topography, scenery and activities. Enjoy, whichever you choose.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

Hi!

I own at Windjammer too but feel that Rendevous or Le Sport may suit you better if you are staying in the North. I have friends who have stayed at Le Sport and love the daily pampering! windjammer is ok out of the school holiday period but can get very busy. The south of the island is definitely prettier than the north but there are less AI options...

Edited: 6:01 pm, February 12, 2014
Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windjammer, Rendezvous, or Sandals

there are many great resorts up north. Windjammer well it depends on when you go, we usually go end sept early oct & it is very quiet with no sun bed issues & few children issues either, food is available form 5 restaurants - if they are all open, at quiet times it not ness the case.

just along from WJL is East Winds, a lovely quiet AI resort & then a bit more pricey Cap Maison is much further north & again quiet. we visited friends who regularly stay at EW & had lunch there…was lovely & they also love CM.