We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ba first class new or old

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ba first class new or old

Hi all I am booking our honeymoon for beginning of january 2015 using avios points. We are flying from heathrow to new York for a few nights first class which I believe will be the new first cabin. We are then taking a flight to st lucia and staying for 10 night. Does anyone know if the ba first class cabin from st lucia to gatwick is the new first class or the old? This will be our first time flying first class and being our honeymoon I want to have the best for my wife to be. If not I am tempted to fly back to NYC to then return to heathrow? Thoughts please.

thanks

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ba first class new or old

Hi,

I did similar last year and First was what I believe was the "old" cabin because it was as has been around for a while. Why don't you call BA and ask them?

I am going out again in late May Avios/First so I will try to remember to let you know but if you find out beforehand pls let me know.

Tip re Avios and January BA does get booked up quickly so get a move on re booking

STEVE

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ba first class new or old

Thanks Steve we already have our outgoing flight booked to NYC so just waiting for our date back to be released. I will contact ba but if I have no joy I know a BA pilot and air stewardess so will ask them to find out. Worst case scenario I shall just fly back to JFK for an additional night and go from there as there are more flights daily. I shall let you know any findings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ba first class new or old

From what I've read on Flyertalk all 777s based at Gatwick have been fitted with New First. I would actually want to try Old First again as BA are giving compensation of 50,000 Avios to passengers who end up in Old First!

Sounds like a great trip - enjoy your honeymoon!

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ba first class new or old

That's interesting surely that would only be for paying first customers? If not that is a great incentive. I shall do some more research and report back with any findings. Thanks for your replies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ba first class new or old

No - it's for all passengers in F who find themselves in Old First. I feel like actually seeking out routes with Old First just to claim; ) . Flyertalk is the best place to look for info about all things BA related. Read this thread from post 30 onwards - flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv…

South Bucks
Level Contributor
116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ba first class new or old

Hi Lloyd409wright, just to let you know that the BA flights from Gatwick to St Lucia are now the 'new' First Class (have been since some point in 2013). I know because we checked with BA as we're flying from Gatwick to St Lucia in 3 weeks time (our first - and probably last - time in First Class).

Berkshire
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ba first class new or old

Great news. Anybody know what the main differences are?

Magslad and Lloyd Wright have a great trip

STEVE

London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ba first class new or old

The main differences apart of course from a newer seat is that the TVs are much bigger, you have your own personal wardrobe and there is an extra glass layer on the window. There's an even newer BA F seat on the A380s - the personal wardrobe is even bigger on that - I could get my full sized carry on bag in there.

Don't forget that you get 3 bags at 23kgs each in first which unofficially they allow you up to 32kgs each bag in F or Club or if you're a Silver or Gold card holder. As there has been recent flooding again you could use your luggage allowance to take out some things that you might donate to charity here. Last time I donated some things after hurricane Tomas I went to a Pound shop and bought up loads of toiletries such as toothpaste, ladies sanitary items shampoo etc as well as batteries which was on the list of things they needed. You can of course take up to 23kgs in your hand luggage in any class on BA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ba first class new or old

Also you can dine when it suits you onboard and they will set the table up for two so that you and your partner can eat together. On that flight I imagine you'll get lunch and afternoon tea on the way out and dinner and breakfast on the way back. Don't forget to pop into the F lounge at Gatwick to have breakfast before your flight.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ba first class new or old

qc16,

Many thanks.

I am already collecting some "flood relief" items to take out. As you say with 3 x 23kg+ bags each there will be plenty of space.

STEVE