We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Trip

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
August Trip

Hi all. We're planning a week long trip in August and like to be in/around St Lucia. I looked through the resorts and just information overload! So I figure who's better to ask than those who went there before. Please post your advise, recommendation, what/where to do/stay, so forth. We have a few questions too if you can answer, that would be wonderful.

Is all inclusive worth it? Some resorts we looked at have AI and EP. We would like to have AI so we don't need to worry about what to drink and eat. However, it seems like the resorts are pretty close to town for food and some excursion that includes a meal. So we aren't sure which way to go.

What resort do you recommend? We're looking for a small boutique like resort with 'stand alone' style room/cabin/villa/hut. Of course, we want nice view and clean beach. Prefer adult only if possible. Where's flying there and want to stay away from ports that cruises stop in, if possible. Pretty much we want something that's both secluded and luxury. Our budget is around $500, if that's reasonable?

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Trip

$500? per night?

I think it depends on your vacation style. If you're looking for a beach vacation with lots of restaurants, shops and nightlife, etc I suggest looking at Rodney Bay Village - you will definitely want to go EP or breakfast only.

If you're looking for off-resort activities away from the beach, then you should check out Soufriere.

Anse Chastanet has cabin-style accommodations with amazing views from the upper hillside rooms.

If you're interested in a self-catering option check out Stonefield Estates in Soufriere.

Another possible resort that has cabins is Ti Kaye, however it is a bit remote, but it does have a great beach with good snorkeling from shore.

And in the north, Calash Cove offers water's edge cottages.

AC, Ti Kaye and Calabash all offer an AI package along with meal plans.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Trip

Check out East Winds. Excellent food, excellent beverage selection, beautiful cottages, excellent service and no hoards on the beach. While not striclty AO, the very few children who may or may not be around are usually well traveled, well behaved youngsters (with well behaved parents)

Rendezvous is another excellent AI, they have the beach cottages (stand alone) They are AO/AI, with great food and service, etc.

Calabash Cove also offer some water's edge cottages - again, not stricly adults only, but usually only 12 and over - and those are few and far between.

If you don't want All-Inclusive, you can check out Sugar Beach for more stand alone type rooms - and amazing views right at the base of the Pitons, or perhaps Hotel Chocolat - very small intimate resort with great views, right on a working chocolate plantation, amazing food, etc. Not directly on a beahc, but shuttle service daily (about 10 minutes)

Good luck with your research - there are an amazing amount of accommodation options all around the island, those are just a few with the "stand alone" cottage type feature.

Edited: 2:07 pm, April 12, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Trip

Thank you both for the quick responses. I'm researching/leaning toward more Calabash Cove or Sugar Beach at the moment. I haven't look at Rodney Bay Village, East Winds, and Hotel Chocolat. Will definitely check them out. What's the typical cost for lunch, dinner, taxi and stuff? Is $500/night for accomodation not enough???

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Trip

$500 per night is easily enough. I would opt for Sugar Beach - it is a phenomenal location and the resort is beautiful. Restaurant prices vary greatly. I don't know about breakfast as we had it included at La Haut Plantation. Lunches are $10 - $15 + drinks + 10% service charge and I think there is now a Value Added Tax too, but I don't know if it applies to restaurants. Dinners range from $15 + drinks, etc to ??? - hard to give an upper price, but I think a typical meal at a fine dining establishment - Dasheene, Hotel Chocolat, Mango Tree will be around $120 for two + drinks, etc

A taxi to town from SB is approx $15, perhaps as much as $20 - make a deal with a local driver to use him exclusively and you'll get better rates - or so I have read. We usually rent a vehicle for a few days and when we stayed at La Haut we used their shuttle to get to town and the beach. Gas is expensive so getting around by taxi can be costly

Edited: 8:21 am, April 13, 2013
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Trip

$500US a night should easily cover most accommodation options, and even some of the AI options. Typical costs for lunches and dinners will vary greatly depending on where you book. At Sugar Beach itself, lunch will easily cost around $25US pp, plus drinks. Dinners will easily runs $75-$150USpp plus drinks (2-3 courses). Local high end restaurants for dinner (Hotel Chocolat, Mango Tree, Trou Diable, etc) will rund similar - around $150-200 for 2 plus drinks. Vat is on all restaurant and hotel bills, BTW. Local plate lunches will be around $8-15US - but you have to get into town for those - and a taxi will cost extra, they are expensive. Figure $50US r/t to Soufriere or dinner, etc. Local dinners (La Haut, in Soufriere, etc) will be around $50US give or take, depending on courses, etc. Again - transportation.

You can eat both more and less expensively up near Calabash Cove. You are close to Rodney Bay, which has over 25 restaurants and bars to choose from at every price and taste point plus the local lunches at JQ Mall, food trucks, etc. You can spend anywhere from $7US up through $200US on dinner in R B Village, depends on what you pick! Plus, many local eateries around in Gors Islet, along the highway, etc - again though, transportation comes into play, it adds up fast.

Good luck on your research and decisions!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August Trip

Thank you both again for all the information. The transportation costs and restaurant recommendations will definitely be very useful for us. I must pick your brain once again, if you don't mind. Our plan now is to spend 3 nights around Gros Islet/Rodney Bay and another 3 nights around Soufriere. Out of the following resorts for each location, which one would you pick/recommend? I think we're not doing AI since it's pretty reasonable to take a cab from these resorts to town, (I think?). We like to have the options to try food at other local restaurants and so forth too.

GI/RB

Calabash Cove (Watersedge Cottage)

Cap Maison (Oceanview Villas)*

Windjammer (Villas with plunge pool)*

Soufriere

Sugar Beach (luxury villa)*

Stonenfield (Majestic Piton Oceanview w/ plunge pool)*

Ladera (Gros piton suite with plunge)*

*Are these hotel-room like or it's own building suite/villa? We tried to look at their website and they're not clearely written if it's hotelsuite or bungalow style... Thanks again for your contributions!

7. Re: August Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 18, 2014