We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at AC - what else must see?

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at AC - what else must see?

We are so in love with snorkeling its lead me to Anse Chastanet for the ability to do it right from their beaches! My husband has his PADI, so he can also partake in their SCUBA.

So for the most part we will be MOST happy at the beach IN the water!

But for the times we must dry off, :) what else should we be seeing?

I've looked at reviews for the Volcano, Sulphur, Water Fall, Gardens, wasn't blown away by them?

But we do prefer nature things, over city, shopping stuff.

So the hiking around Anse Mamin & the 600 acres we'll enjoy lots too. I'm sure.

Quite honestly MORE snorkeling over at Jalousie (or whatever it is now?) appeals to me.

Oh I don't think I can climb Gros Piton? My legs are strong like a work horse! ;) But I have arm issues & from what I've read I'd have to pull myself up ropes in areas?

Regular hiking I love.

Thoughts on day trips we'd enjoy, things we SHOULD see appreciated, thanks!

essex
Level Contributor
521 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at AC - what else must see?

Dolphin/whale watching trips are worthwhile.

The botanical gardens are worth a visit for the gorgeous flowers, butterflies, hummingbirds.

Sugar beach (woz jalousie), is a place to see mongoose, parrots ( if your lucky) and omg I forgot what they are called _ come out at night, oh I know possums

And look out for those huge yellow/black/orange caterpillars .

What a huge moth or butterfly they must turn into !

Snorkelling at AC is brill , better than SB actually. On trips from here you may be lucky to snorkel with manta rays as my hubby did .

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at AC - what else must see?

You need to experience Sulphur Springs Park and New Jerusalem mineral springs to have an appreciation for them. Admittedly the waterfalls aren't spectacular but each offers a different experience. The botanical gardens at Diamond Falls are beautiful. Toraille has a nice pool at it's base for swimming and Malgretoute (Piton) Falls is a thermal fall with manmade baths at it's base - the setting is lovely.

I highly recommend a visit to Tet Paul Nature trail - the scenery is jaw-dropping spectacular from a ridge that's ~2000 ft above sea level.

Aside from AC, AM and Sugar Beach, there's good snorkeling along the cliff face at the north end of Soufriere Beach, off Malgretoute Beach, along the shoreline of Gros Piton and off Anse L'Ivrogne. If you are looking for a unique and interesting tour - check out Congomon's Tribute to the Lion, Castaway for a day tour.

Edited: 2:39 pm, March 02, 2013
Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at AC - what else must see?

You are mistaking the Gros Piton climb from the Peitit Piton climb. Petit is technically illegal, although that is sometimes ignored, and requires ropes. Gros Piton is a safe tourist attraction and nature excursion. The trail is extremely well constructed and safe with secure steps built with bamboo, wood, and rocks where it is too steep for a regular trail. Handrails are present in steeper sections. You could have no arms and easily make it to the top. It is a great hike from start to finish.

At Anse Mamin, hike up the tinker trail to a great viewpoint.

I agree AC is slightly better than Sugar for snorkeling. Also north end of mamin has a cool small rock structure that had interesting snorkeling and I loved the dropoff at Soufriere Beach.

Some other things to look into: Maria Islands tour is great for nature people, En bas Saut trail, Barre de L'isle trail and other Forestry trails.

4. Re: Staying at AC - what else must see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2014