We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Body v Sugar Beach

manchester
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Body v Sugar Beach

Me and my husband have decided to visit St Lucia for a once in a lifetime relaxing, pampering holiday. We have been looking at 'the body hotel' and 'sugar beach'. Sugar beach is slightly cheaper than 'the body' and the renovation and setting seems much more impressive. However 'the body' has the spa treatments included and more choice in restaurants. We have read a few reviews about Sugar not having v good food. We want somewhere very chilled-out and quiet. We are also a bit put off by all this tipping as we want somewhere we can feel completely relaxed and not have to take out any belongings with us whenever we go out, we were a bit put off by the 'butler service' at sugar, if anyone could help us we would be very grateful, Thank you

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Body v Sugar Beach

Very, very different experiences and locations. There have been lots of threads comparing the two (although as Jalousie, not Sugar Beach, as the name change is very recent) Here's just one sample: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147342-i247-k3604… and another: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147342-i247-k5804…

Sugar Beach's location simply can't be beat. Amazing views, amazing location, beautiful beach, huge rooms or villas all with private pools and butler service - think of it as a cabin steward like on a cruise ship or something like that - they are just there to enhance your vacation, not run it, you don't have to use them, but they are there for things like extra ice or turn down or dinner reservations or excursions, etc - they are your go to person for everything. The spa is amazing - much better than Body Holiday's in my opinion - and yes, I have been to both several times. While the spa is not as extensive as BH - the setting and the treatments far outweigh that! The food is usually excellent, and food is subjective, of course. Not as many daily activities at SB as BH, but plenty to do - and if you want to see anything on the island, you are right there - no 1.5 hour drive down from BH one way!! Waterfalls, volcano, plantations, mud & mineral baths, and so on - right at your doorstep - and closer to the airport, so no 1.5-2 hour transfer!

BH is a great AI, with lots on offer all the time - lots of daily activities, nightly entertainment, motorized watersports, etc. And it is AI - so all your meals, drinks etc. included, which is nice as you know your bill ahead of time. the included treatments are great - but limited in what you can choose from: massage, hand/foot massage, facial and a scrub/massage combo. Everything else is on a pay basis. No treatments for arrival and departure day either - keep in mind. It is a great AI, and we enjoy it when we stay - but for that once in a lifetime- why not stay in the once in a lifetime hotel with once in a lifetime views?!? Sugar Beach simply can't be beat for the views, location, the luxury and amenitities. It is a true luxury resort, not an up scale AI.

Between the two, for once in a lifetime, it would hands down be Sugar Beach. Lots of excellent dining available right nearby also for more variety. Boucan at Hotel Chocolat is not to be missed, Dasheene at Ladera is excellent, several local eateries that are amazing, and so on. I don't think you would be sorry.

As for the tipping thing - you wouldn't necessarily need to tip at either place. Your restaurant and bar bills at SB would include a 15% service charge which is distributed amongst the staff as a tip monthly. If you chose to tip on top of that for excellent service, of course you are welcome to, but not necessary. You can sign everything to your room, no need to carry anything but your room key and beach things -no $$ or anything like that while at the resort. Same goes for BH - your vacation charge carries the service charge added in - and this is distributed amongst staff also as tips. So, in neither place would you need extra $$ for cash, except for those cases where you get above and beyond service.

I am not sure what is putting you off concerning the butler service, as noted above - they are more your point of contact for something in your room or excursions or what not - they are not standing there with a silver tray to service you every minute of the day! You need ice in the room, you call them, not the front desk. Want to book dinner at a certain time - call them, not the restaurants. Want to eat off property - they will arrange a car and reservations. Problem with your room, call them and they get maintenance, etc. Things like that - more like having your own front desk person. If you don't need things like that, then don't use them. You don't need to tip separately or anything - they are a different thing than butlers say at Sandals resorts and the like. These guys are really just there to help make things easier for you, your dedicated contact person. They do share in the service charge distribution. If you have one that goes above and beyond - as with anywhere - and additional tip is welcome, but not required.

As noted - for pure luxury, pampering, once in a lifetime wonderfulness - Sugar Beach would get my vote far ahead of BH.

Hope this helps - enjoy your visit!

manchester
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Body v Sugar Beach

wow! thank you so much incredible!! we have been persuaded!-although the rooms are now fully booked for the month we wanted to go!-we are still goin to make it happen! thank you!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Body v Sugar Beach

Glad to help - also, give the hotel a call. Sometimes (actually, fairly often) they don't release all the rooms to the website or to TAs, you should definitely call and check on your dates - even a one day change may make a difference.

You won't regret the choice!!! Enjoy!

4. Re: The Body v Sugar Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 07, 2014