We have a last minute opportunity for 10 days in St Lucia in December on a reasonably tight budget. It means we need to make decisions fast without the usual hours of research that I'd put in, so asking for help earlier than I usually would, please. This is what we're looking for:
- self-catering, for two people
- great sea views from the accommodation
- proximity to good beach-based snorkelling (I'm not keen on boat trips)
- proximity to local (ie budget) restaurants for dinner when we don't want to cook
- ability to get around the island reasonably easily, ideally by public transport but may hire a car for part of the time
- not Castries (too many cruise visitors)
- probably not Rodney Bay area (too busy, unless you know of somewhere near that isn't)
- not looking for night life
We thought we'd narrowed to Soufriere or Marigot Bay....but then I read there is good snorkelling on the Cap Estate near Smugglers Cove.
Any advice appreciated, initially as to location but also specific accommodation if you can recommend.