We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motion sickness

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Motion sickness

Hello this really random but I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before my trip in November. I have been reading a lot of the reviews about how driving on the roads and really cause motion sickness. I really want to get out and see the island so I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for motion sickness. I read that there is a patch now but I also read that you can't drink while using it. Has anybody had any experience with this? I'm not a big drinker but I'm concerned because I'm I really want to go to the pop up party on Friday night and it is an hour drive from my hotel. I want to be able to enjoy myself and have drink but can't do so on the patch. Can you suggest any natural remedies? I heard ginger works but would I be able to get it through customs? Sorry y'all for all the questions I'm just really concerned about the motion sickness in general on the plane, if we do anything on the water and all the driving, but I also want to be able to have a drink if the mood hit me.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
10 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Motion sickness

Ginger works fine and you can get fresh ginger at amy market around the island, along with ginger tea, ginger cookies, ginger ale, etc.

Gravol or Dramamine work well also and usually, you can have drinks while using them.

You can visit an accupuncturist before you leave and have them put the ear beads on you - usually last about 1 week to 10 days and help control motion sickness.

There are bands you can wear - usually in the seasick sections of stores - they go on youur wrists and apply small pressure to the pressure points - we know several cruisers who use them with good success, no chemicals or anything.

Motion sickness is really only a problem if you are really susceptible to it - yes, some of the roads are mountainous, but most people are just fine - roll down the windows, try to sit in front, etc.

Good luck, enjoy your trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Motion sickness

Thank you so much Reedprincess! I will look into getting some ginger and the pills you suggested b/c I get motion sickness really badly especially on the water and planes.

I just also want to say thank in general. You graciously comment on everyone's post with your wealth of knowlege of the island. It's very nice of you to take time out of your day to answers some of the questions in this forum. You are always so nice and informative! I just really wanted to say thank you for replying to this post and many others.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
10 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Motion sickness

If you are really susceptible and know it already, then definitely check into those bands - I think they are called sea bands. We cruise a lot and lots of people wear them - they are flesh colored with little beads and flexible - folks say they really help out. Worth checking into - and sporting goods store or pharmacy should have them - you're by a pretty big body of water!

And ginger really is available ay all the markets - fresh! you can peel it and steep it to make tea or or juice, etc. and also all kinds of ginger products. Dramamine is readily available in US pharmacies - it can make some people drowsy though, so check for the non-drowsy kind.

All in all, you should be alright - good luck!

And thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them. I just want to see people enjoy the island as much as I do! Have a wonderful trip!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,844 posts
47 reviews
254 helpful votes
4. Re: Motion sickness

As someone who has suffered motion sickness my whole life, I totally understand where you are coming from. Based on some helpful recommendations in the attached post,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k41405…

I switched from regular gravol which always caused me to need a snooze shortly after taking it (despite being non-drowsy), to ginger gravol and it worked great! The real test was the 2 hour drive from the airport in St. Lucia to our resort. It was still a bit of a challenge and I didn't feel 100%, but I was able to make the trip without needing a stop. I've also used it on boating excursions both in St. Lucia and in Jamaica...and no problems at all!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Motion sickness

Travelpair thanks a bunch!!!!! Im willing to try anything. I think I'm going to look into a combo of things (not all at the same time lol). I think I'll try the natural remedies when I think I may have a drink and the heavier stuff for the plane and any boat rides.

Thank you again for taking time to post!!!!!

Aspen
Level Contributor
29 posts
6. Re: Motion sickness

Ginger, ginger & more ginger! We provide our guests on board dried or candied ginger to chew or suck on and Canada Dry Or Waitrose Ginger Ale made with real ginger. All available in St. Lucia.

Face forward. Look at the horizon AND think/talk about something else!

Edited: 2:26 am, September 01, 2012
7. Re: Motion sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 16, 2013