We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lucia Honeymoon

Annapolis
8 posts
Save Topic
St. Lucia Honeymoon

My fiance and I are trying to plan are St. Lucian honeymoon and the number of highly-recommended resorts are making me crazy :) It's so hard to choose! We have seven nights and a pretty middle-of-the-road budget (you'll understand more when you read the resorts we're debating between) and are trying to pick the perfect spot, but we've never been and any input would be great.

Currently, we're debating between Sandals Halcyon, Windjammer, Rendezvous and Ti Kaye (though recently Bay Gardens has wiggled it's way onto our radar as well.) Anyone been to more than one of these that could compare? This is what we're looking for....

We are pretty laidback and we love to spend time on the beach, but we'd also like a little pool time, and some snorkeling is a must. We'd like to take a day trip or two to venture out and see other parts of the island (the Pitons, zip lining, etc.), but (and this is going to sound annoying to well-traveled friends), we'd like to get the most unique experience we can withOUT venturing off the resort. Meaning, we don't particularly want the cookie-cutter resort experience, but we'd also like to be able to eat, drink and play on the resort grounds. We want to KNOW we're in beautiful St. Lucia, without hitting the local towns. We aren't "club"-going people, so we aren't interested in any late night partying, but we would like to be able to dance/enjoy live local music some evenings after dinner. We also feel like we would LOVE the option of room service (which makes us a little hesitant about TiKaye), but it's not a deal breaker. All-Inclusive would be nice, but also not a deal breaker. Pool and beach service, however, is important. (Having drinks/possible lunch, served. I guess that, and possibly a pool/swim up bar, would be our two resort-ish wishes.)

We would LIKE to not have to race out to the beach/pool to get a chair every morning at 7 am, so a smaller resort (is that the correct solution to that?) might be nice.

And again, we're going on our honeymoon so we'd like a romantic location, though we're traveling at the end of August so I don't foresee children--even on family-friendly resorts--being much of an issue. Friendly staff is a huge bonus.

Is my wishlist long enough? Good grief! I sound so picky. (Really, I am so excited that I'm nervous to make the wrong decision, and yet, I'm positive that when I get there, wherever I go, it'll be paradise!) Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

to be perfectly honest, outside of Soufriere, there's not that much to distinguish St Lucia from other Caribbean Islands. With that in mind I suggest checking out this site - http://soufrierefoundation.org - none of the resorts are particularly big but they most offer quite a unique experience.

Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

If you can get a package deal and stay in a sugar mill room, Jalousie Plantation sounds like it fits a lot of what you are asking. Fyi, I have never been to St. Lucia, but I have spent the past 6 months on here and researching the hotels for exactly what you want. We will be at Jalousie in a week for our honeymoon. Good luck with your search.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

TiKaye

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,044 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

Keep in mind that if room service is important - then that rules out Ti Kaye, Sandals Halcyon and Rendezvous. None of them offer room service. Halcyon has a continental breakfast room service for certain upper classes of rooms, but that's it. Not 100% about Windjammer, have never tried it there nor am I sure they offer it.

Soufriere is the most picturesque region - and I notice you don't have any of the resorts from that area listed. Did none of them appeal to you? Most of them are comparably priced to Sandals or Rendezvous or Ti Kaye - especially if you can take advantage of their specials. Definitely look at Jalousie - has everything you want except a swim up bar. Room service, beach/pool service, beautiful rooms, lovely beach, walk out snorkeling, local flavors in the food, amazing scenery, amazing spa, etc. Excellent specials during August. rates starting at $322US per night for a Sugar mill room including breakfast and dinner. They also offer an All-inclusive plan. If you don't plan on leaving the resort, the AI plan can be a very good deal. At Jalousie, you are a short cab ride from all the major sites of the island as opposed to an hour or more from the other resorts you are looking at. Every room includes butler service and a private pool - very romantic for a honeymoon. Very little evening entertainment though, mostly people are enjoying each other's company or having a late cocktail and conversation by the Cane bar. For live music, you would have to venture off the resort.

Another very good option is Anse Chastenet. AC is an eco-luxury resort however - no pools or A/C - excellent beach and snorkeling, large open air rooms with great views over the ocean or Pitons, excellent food and service, beach service, msuci a few nights, etc.

If you are set on one of the resorts you have listed - I would go with either Ti Kaye or Rendezvous. Ti Kaye will give you the closest to what you are looking for probably - pool, beach, snorkeling, etc. Lovely location, very isolated, so a long time to get to anywhere for tours, etc. Good food, etc. And unique type experience with their cottages and the like. Live music a few nights. No views of the Pitons or anything to really tell you you are in St. Lucia over any other tropical island per se.

Rendezvous is a great all-inclusive with excellent food and beautiful grounds, good room options, several pools - including swim up pool bar, lazy river, lots of secluded areas for privacy, long, long stretch of beach with beach service -- no snorkeling though (and no room service) Daily and nightly entertainment. (bands, dancers, etc) You are steps form the capital city if you change your mind and wanted to venture out for a morning of shopping and experiencing some of the local flavor. Again though, nothing about the setting inherently screams St. Lucia. for that, you really would need to be in the Soufriere region. Or be willing to leave the resort and experience the local life.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort is an excellent resort in the Rodney Bay area. Less luxurious than the others and very much a regular hotel, it is a great location on a long stretch of beach and walking distance to over 20-30 restaurants and bars. While the do offer an AI package, i highly recommend against it as there are so many options within such an easy walk. There are several places along the strip with live music some nights and local djs other nights. BGBR also has evening entertainment a few nights. You would have to leave the resort though and mingle with some of the locals for dinner and such.

All of them are great resorts - I am sure you would be happy with any of them.

CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

I know I'm probably going to get some backlash for this, but I would not spend my honeymoon at Bay Gardens. We went in February and stayed at The Landings. When I was researching for our trip, it was between The Landings and Bay Gardens. So one day we went over there to see the place we didn't choose and I'm so glad we didn't. It reminded me of an apartment complex and not very luxurious. The Landings was amazing, but doesn't have a lot of the amenities you are looking for. If we go back, I'd want to stay at Stonefield in Soufrierre. They are little villas with your own private pool.

Congratulations and God bless your marriage!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

Windjammer Landing offers room service as well as beach service -- you just put a flag in the sand and they come and take your order :-) so both of those are fulfilled for you. There is also an absolutely lovely pool (2 level) by the new units between the water sports center and the beach. There is no swim up bar but bar service is nearby. There are also plunge or full pools in a good amount of the units. You should not need to get up early to get a lounger and you might find you want to lounge at your unit if you have a pool. They also have entertainment several nights during the week so some of that wish is fulfilled as well. They also offer included snorkel trips daily. It is all inclusive optional. So, if you feel the need you can go AI but we never do as I feel it's less costly to pay as you go unless you are big drinkers. Seems to me Windjammer is the one that fits the majority of your needs.

Edited: 12:14 am, June 01, 2012
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

If you did stay at Sandals Halcyon, you would also be able to visit the other 2 Sandals. You would be able to eat, drink, swim, etc at the other 2 resorts, so that would give you an experience at more than one without having to go out, etc, like you had said.

You did say middle of the road though, and I just want you to know SHB is the smallest, and very quiet. (at least when we went) The beach is nice, but the two pools were pretty small, and not much going on. Compared to the other 2 Sandals on the island, definitely much, much quieter. Just making sure that's what you'd be looking for.

I haven't been to the others to comment.

Annapolis
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

Thank you all so much! This is fabulous information. We're definitely looking into Jalousie now as well. It seems that it, and Windjammer have a lot of what were looking for, but we're also not ready to give up the idea of Tikaye. Has anyone been to all three? At some point we're going to have to bite the bullet and pick, but Im hopeful we'll be happy with any we choose!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

I have stayed at all three. For your honeymoon my choice would be Jalousie 1st, then a toss up between Ti Kaye and Windjammer -- Ti Kaye is more quiet and isolated with only one restaurant on-site and one at the beach that is open for lunch. Getting anywhere from there is an adventure all the time. Windjammer has more choices for unit accommodations, food, activities, etc. Depends on which you prefer. I find the views from Jalousie unparalleled and Windjammer much more interesting than from Ti Kaye. If you want more specific info on the three please feel free to PM me.

If you can afford Jalousie then go there. You won't regret it.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Lucia Honeymoon

You will regret it because you won't be able to stay anywhere else on the island afterwards; ). I agree it's fabulous and the perfect place for a honeymoon.