We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gros Piton hike

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gros Piton hike

Ok, so only 13 days away from beautiful St Lucia. I am trying to loosely plan our activities. We definately want to hike Gros Piton. My question is if we should book through the resort (Jalousie) or if we should just go to the mountain and get a guide there. I think $85 per person is really expensive through the resort. Also, if we would book on our own, can we walk there from Jalousie?

Thanks for your help!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gros Piton hike

You will need a taxi as it's quite far from Jalousie to the trailhead (about 30 minutes drive if I remember correctly). I believe the guide is about $35 per person and the taxi will probably cost $100 round trip so the Jalousie excursion really isn't more expensive.

Alternatively you could contact Congomon and he could take you via boat to the trailhead and set you up for the whole day. That might be the best way to go. His website is tributetothelion.blogspot.com

Edited: 11:06 pm, February 20, 2012
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gros Piton hike

It is most definitely not walkable to the trailhead from Jalousie. The $85pp is not super high, considering the cost of transportation over to the trailhead, the driver waiting for you, the guides, etc.

I too would definitely second doing the hike through Congoman/Tribute to the Lion. He will pick you up at Jalousie Beach, take you to Anse I'vorgne, arrange for the guides from the beach trailhead, organize a gorgeous organic beach BBQ lunch for your return - can arrange a massuese on the beach, fishing, snorkeling, lounging, etc. and return you to Jalousie at the end of the day, An excellent "castaway" beach/hike day.

Enjoy your visit.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gros Piton hike

bring lots of water, a good pair of comfortable, non-slip shoes and a camera

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gros Piton hike

Thanks everyone. I am loving the idea of incorporating the hike with the Congoman. I saw the website and read some reviews and it sounds right up our alley with the secluded beach, amazing gardens and great food. It sounds like it could be the perfect day. Would this need scheduled in advance or can I set this up upon arrival?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gros Piton hike

You could do it either way. Book ahead if there is absolutely a day you want to do it or wait till your on-island if your plans are more fluid. He has both email and phone to get in touch, so now worries. Enjoy - he's great!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gros Piton hike

Bon jou Jennifer A,

The Castaways Tour to Anse l'Ivrogne (Sevoigne in Kweyol) is unique in St. Lucia and the Caribbean. There is no place quite like my home.

Contact me direct zionlionfarm@gmail.com or 758 717 4663 once settled on island. Please note, we require 24 hr advance notice to make preparations for your visit.

Bless up! Paul

Mesi reedprincess & nevera for the recommendations!

En fait, you can "hike" from Jalousie to the trailhead on the mountain... take the very steep private road (where BANG! restaurant used to be), through the village of Morne La Croix then down hill to the village of Fonds Gens Libres.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gros Piton hike

Thank you Paul! I will be in touch soon!

8. Re: Gros Piton hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 pm, June 17, 2013