We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

Grand Prairie, TX
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

It's been very difficult for me and best girl to pick a couple of islands to visit this July 2010 after we scratched the idea of going to Bora Bora. We have 14 days to play with flying out of Dallas, TX USA. It seems like we should definitely spend 5 days in one spot and 5 days in another to maximize our vacation.

We would love adults-only since we FINALLY get to vacation without the kids. We would like an all-inclusive but we are not stuck on having to have that.

Where should we go? Which 2 islands? We thought that St. Lucia should be one. We would like a nice, romantic, close to the water place, clear clean water, WIFI, a night life, some scenery, and some sight-seeing spots.

Help. Thanks as always!

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

We are going to St Lucia(Sandals) for the first time in June. We wanted to go there for our honeymoon in 06, but decided on Antigua(Sandals) instead. While in Antigua there was a couple there who were splitting their honeymoon between Antigua & St Lucia. Antigua is wonderful and one of our favorite spots. All-Inclusive is the only way to go!! The Sandals in Antigua has been redone and is a lot bigger than when we were there in 06. We can't wait to go back. I have also been to Aruba and the Caymans. LOVE both and hope to take my husband to them as well. Good Luck

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

Anguilla is a magical island. You fly into St. Maarten then take a 20-minute boat ride to get to the island. No, I don't recommend the public ferry that would mean taking a taxi ride from the Dutch to the French side of the island. Instead take Funtime. The opposite of St. Lucia:

flat

ringed by dazzling white sand beaches

world class restaurants

night life - Elvis's, Pumphouse, Dune Preserve & Johnno's

if you need shopping that's a day trip to St. Martin (French side)

easy to get around as it's much smaller than SLU, only 16 miles long and even though you drive on the left-hand side it's easy to get around.

Based on St. Lucia being on of your choices you might also like Provo in Turks & Caicos as your 2nd destination. Anguilla like but more developed (overly so IMHO) lots of restaurants to choose from and Grace Bay has properties you can walk to for dining options.

There's also St. John in the United States Virgin Island. Beautiful, great beaches, wonderful snorkeling, restaurants and some night life. Plus you can make day trips to either Jost Van Dyke or Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. I'd opt for Virgin Gorda and going through the caves at The Baths.

Edited: 12:05 pm, April 22, 2010
Grand Prairie, TX
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

Thanks sam03 and lucianmermaid.

A friend just came back from Antiqua and loved it. That's on our short list as well.

Anguilla, I don't know much about so I'm gonna look at it. I'm intrigued by driving on the left. I haven't used my passport outside of Mexico and Canada and would love to experience that.

Are there any more good all-inclusives other then Sandals? I don't have a preference, I just wanted something to compare.

Do any of the islands offer and close to the beach or water rooms? I would love the over-the-water bungalows like Bora Bora but a travel agent told us a few resorts will be building some next year.

Thanks tremendously for your replies!!

Keith

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

St Lucia & Dominica or Grenada. Dominica is very pristine, lots of rainforest, nice beaches, dormant volcanoes, crater lakes - it is very lush and beautiful. Grenada is similar to St Lucia but different - had I been able to get a better deal I would have gone there instead of St Lucia at the end of Mar.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

St Lucia is romantic -- if you stay in the southern region! I'll probably offend people who love and/or appreciate the north, but honestly to me Castries & rodney bay areas are ratty. The south were so lush, tranquil, and classy.

Regarding another island Puerto Rico would be an excellent choice. especially since its a port when you fly out of St Lucia. Old San Juan is so classy and old world. Buildings are very European-esk. there is a boutique hotel El Convento, which used to be a convent in the 1500;s. Amazing romantic experience! We also loved being able to rent a car and use our GPS since maps are loaded on it.

Best wishes and enjoy your vacay wherever you end up. :-)

feel free to send me a private msg if you have any questions.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

Ai, you mentioned night life, my bad. I guess you might like northern St Lucia also then. :-) And yes Puerto Rico of course.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

Anguilla is magical - the French side of St. Maartin is amazing so that is a great place to visit with Anguilla. If you go to Puerto Rico go to Culebra off the coast and enjoy peace and quiet. We are headed to UVF in August so can't speak on that. Looking forward!

8. Re: Which TWO Caribbean Islands Should We Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 23, 2010