We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st lucia vs costa rica

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
st lucia vs costa rica

hey everyone,

im looking at both st lucia and costa rica for next year. now they both seem similar in what they offer i.e. good beaches, jungle, wildlife etc. can anyone tell me what the differences between the two countries would be so i can make a more informed decision?

thanks

stephen

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

I know StLucia very well; and have visited Costa Rica. There are similarities in the plant life for sure. Mountains are higher and there are more in CR. More rain forests -- but then CR is much larger. People are very nice and helpful in both. You would definitely see more wildlife and birds in CR. I went to the Pacific south coast when I visited so did not see the Caribbean side of CR. Beaches nice in both. You would find a variety of accomodations in either. CR's cities are very busy and congested whereas being smaller, SL's are quieter. Maybe because we were not familiar with them, we found the roads rougher in CR -- and dirt once you got off the main highways; and sometimes dirt on the main highways. You would find most of what CR offers -- excluding wildlife --- on StLucia - -but in "smaller doses" !

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

Another difference is language. English is the primary language in St. Lucia. Spanish is the primary language in Costa Rica.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

Funny you should ask, because we went to Costa Rica last year and are considering St. Lucia for this year! It might help to know what kind of vacation you are looking for.

C.R. roads/mountains definitely make what looks like a short distance on a map,not so much! We went to the Arenal volcano area, then flew a "puddle- jumper" to Manuel Antonio on Pacific Coast. My favorite vacation so far. Was adventurous and active, but also had some "down time". The people were great and for some reason, must spoke English very well.

St. Lucia seems to have similar features as C.R. and I have read somewhere where it compares to a Hawaiian island. [where I have not been].

I need to decide soon. Good Luck to you!!

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

hi all, thanks for getting back to me. well i went to mexico last year and although it was nice its not the type of holiday i would like to do again, the hotel etc was lovely but it just seemed a bit over pretenious and the beach was very crowded so i wouldnt want to go back to somewhere that is similar to mexico. the type of holiday i would like is something that offers me and my girlfriend somewhere to relax on a nice beach with warm waters to swim in but also offer good activites to do so really a handful of good excursions and then nice peaceful relaxtion mixed in. any ideas?

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

Definitely look at Ti Kaye. Reasonable snorkelling beach, very relaxing and Caribbean in style and they had good excursions which don't take too long to get to as you are already half way down the island.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

imo Costa Rica offers "adventure travel" whereas St Lucia is much more "civilized" for a lack of better word. Costa Rica is a whole country and spread out. St Lucia is a relatively small and lovely island. Maybe if you say where in Mexico you stayed it would help. For example, I personally find Cancun obnoxious even compared to Miami. Still, there are still some small unspoiled spots in Mexico....? From your post, you might want to look into Grenada. Close to St Lucia, more natural and less "glitzy".

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

in mexico i stayed in the rivera maya area, although it was a nice resort and staff where lovely it just felt really fake and t be honest i could have been in any country in the worldwouldnt have known it was mexico. went onn a day trip to cancun and thought it was one of the worst places i have ever been to in my life did not like that one bit. never thought of grenada, i will have a look into it, just assumed it was a beach type holiday there as it is so small

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

Grenada is "beach type" but not the fancy resorts found so many places. Lush foliage, waterfall, rainforest and the beaches. Not as developed per se. Locals welcome visitors and food is not the same you can find at home. For real "jungle" and wildlife, ruins etc. Panama and Costa Rica are both good options.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

So many islands, so little time.....!! How would people compare St.Croix to St. Lucia? I understand terrain is different and is USVI, I am booking next vaca this week and am down to those two islands for a variety of reasons, including use of frequent flier miles, haven't been [though have been to STT, STJ, and day trips to BVI.] , and interest in snorkel and some land fun. It is my hubby and me, we are late 40's. Hope this doesn't confuse you, ste085, actually might help. Just went to Costa Rica last year. Thought my husband would want a little more relaxing this year. I tend to get bored with just lying on a beach.

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: st lucia vs costa rica

well tried pricing grenada and its coming out very expensive so i think thats out although it does look lovely.

mmkathnp, ive always wanted to go to costa rica and definately going in 2011. some of the tour operators here only start flying to costa rica next year so the prices are a lot less in 2011 than this year, costa rica will have to wait for 12months unfortunately.