We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

I'll be staying in St. Martin from Christmas Eve to around New Year's. I was thinking about doing a day trip to St. Barts, concentrating on St. Jean and Gustavia until I looked for a car rental. Seems that nothing is available for a day rental. Also tried plugging in more dates and came up empty until I plugged in some dates before Christmas Eve. I know there are cabs but I'm now a bit concerned that St. Barts is going to be mobbed during that time and cabs will be in short supply. I'm also wondering if the vibe will be annoying.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

"the vibe will be annoying." How can you speculate on that when you have no idea what the "vibe" is.

Sounds like St Martin is your kind of place.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

Many of the car rental companies on St Barths don't accept online reservations, you need to either contact via email or phone. Who have you tried to make reservations with ?

Please also bear in mind that if you fly to St Barths ( 65 euro each way from Grand Case Airport in St Martin on St Barths Commuter ) you can walk into St Jean. For instance on Dec 28th you can fly out at 9.30 and fly back at 16.45

New York, NY
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

Fatbear2000, thank you so much for your response. I went on kayak and then on individual car rental sites. I will see what the response is when I contact them directly.

Datthecoast, my, isn't somebody touchy! I asked my question based on the responses in this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147338-i760-k1701…

I don't know what it's like there as I've never been. As this is the viewpoint of only two members, I thought I would ask. Maybe they were referring to you when they gave their responses.

SBH
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

hello,

it will be difficult to find a car rental for only one day during the christmas/new year eve period. Many companies require one week minimum rent during this peak season.

Michael

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

Hello msneedle

I've never been to St Barths over Christmas, the stella increase in the hotel prices is enough to put me off ( and I've never had an invite to Roman's New Year's Eve party ! ). Other times of the year are much better value, and less busy.

As mentioned in my earlier post though, if I were making a day trip to St Barths from St Martin I would fly from Grand Case, and even if you couldn't hire a car to see the whole island you could still have a good day on the beach or exploring St Jean.

Depending on what you are interested in, there are also other day trips possible from St Martin. For instance you could take the ferry to Anguilla, or if you like scary flights you could fly to Saba on Winair !

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

The island sells out over the holiday period, hence why you may have a hard time renting a car. Taxis will be available as many use them.

Saint Barth is nice over the holidays. It is more expensive than ever though, as even the restaurants hike their prices. But you increase your chances of spotting celebrities.

No issue with " the vibe". It never gets super crowded. That is part of the appeal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

It will be impossible to rent a car for the day. You might consider flying over arriving in St. Jean then go to Gustavia (go back to the airport to catch a taxi-no taxis to flag down) after lunch and take the ferry back. It is the most crowded,(I have gone for about ten years over NYE), but getting reservations is tough-if there is some place you want to try out-reserve ahead, but compared to other islands it is quite lovely. The beaches are crowded for St. Barth's-which means they are almost deserted. The vibe is elegant/relaxed with a splash of hip hop/Hollywood.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

Thank you everybody! You are so helpful!

Sounds like the car rental idea is out. I'm actually more interested in the shopping and restaurants as I plan on a day trip to Anguilla (where I hear the beaches are amazing). Celebrity sighting isn't a high priority of mine as I see a lot of them back home. But if Idris Elba is around, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a swimsuit! : )

I guess my main reason for doing this is to see whether I'd like to come back for a longer period of time in the future -- not during Christmas because, yes, prices seem to be insane. I'm staying at Dawn Beach in St. Maarten. So I was thinking that the 30 minute high speed ferry (the "vomit comet") leaving from Oyster Bay to Gustavia would actually be faster (and less expensive) than driving to Grand Case and taking the flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

Then you will be in Gustavia where you can walk to shops, places to eat. and a beach. You might want to talk to a yaxi to see what rate they would charge to drive you around for a bit-don't get out without arranging a pick up and get the mobile number!!!! You might never get a ride back without it!!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a day trip wise during the Christmas holidays?

Thanks for the tip about the #, ackbyrd. Haven't hitch-hiked in a long time and don't feel like doing it again!