We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Dollars or Euros?

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
US Dollars or Euros?

Hi all,

My Husband and I will be visiting St. Barths for our honeymoon from November 16-22, 2013. We're from Canada so we're going to have to exchange our money to either USD or Euro and I'm unsure which will get us the most for our money?

I know Euros are standard, but they take USD just unsure if prices are inflated or not.

1 USD = .95 CDN

1 EURO = .63 CDN

Any other travelling tips would be appreciated. We're staying at Hotel Le Toiny and have a rental car :)

Thanks!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Dollars or Euros?

Hello

St Barths is part of France so the Euro is the currency on the island. If you are changing money you should change to Euros. Whilst USD is accepted in a lot of places the exchange will usually be unfavourable.

There are a number of ATMs on the island where you should be able to withdraw cash, and credit cards are accepted in nearly all establishments.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Dollars or Euros?

Agree with fatbear, unless you are visiting an area with a severely depressed currency, its better to use their money. After many trips, we have found it most effective to use ATMs to withdraw Euros and a credit card for car rental (due to insurance) and splurges. We have a Capital One credit card and money market account so we pay only 1% on currency exchanges. Check with your cards and bank and see what they offer. In any case, if using credit and/or ATM cards, be sure to inform them when you will be traveling.

Not sure what other kinds of tips you are looking for. There is a ton of good information in this forum if you read past posts. You can also do a search.

Your hotel is lovely, but remote. The new chef at Le Gaiac is supposed to be excellent and upholding the high standards of food they have. Their Sunday brunch is a nice indulgence, but dinner is wonderful.

Glad to hear you got a car, you can't really experience St Barth without one.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Dollars or Euros?

Just like you would expect someone to use Canadian dollars in Hamilton, use Euros on St Barts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Dollars or Euros?

Plastic.

I use paper money so rarely...an ice cream in the afternoon...the tip for the maid. Mostly we just charge it.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US Dollars or Euros?

Thanks everyone!

6. Re: US Dollars or Euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy