We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones

pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Cell Phones

My wife and I have Verizon cell phones, will we be able to call each other while we are vacationing on St Barts. Also can we make local with our cell phones?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones

Being from the UK I can't comment on the service provided by Verizon. However, our UK phones pick up the local provider ( Digicel ) and so we are able to make domestic and international calls whilst on St Barths

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones

You need to contact Verizon before you leave and turn on international service. It's essiest and most expensive option, so you might want to check the price first. There are other, cheaper ideas...like buying an unlocked phone, then getting a chip on island, buying a cheap phone there, etc.

pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones

I am only planning on using for limited or emergency local calls on island

.Not for calling USA It might be cheaper to pay roaming fees?

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones

You can not use your Verizon phone in Saint Barth. It operates on a technology (CDMA) that is incompatible with the networks there. They may be able to provide you with a loaner phone or a dual band phone, but it will be very costly.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones

Looking at Verizon's website, St Barths is included in the countries in which their global services are available. Calls are either 2.29 USD or 2.89 USD depending on the plan. It seems you can't send a text to a local number, only to a US one though.

I agree with the advice from mamiesgirl, best to contact them

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phones

Wehave personally used our Verizon phones on St Barth (and in Europe) on many trips and as recently as January. Yes, Verizon does not use CDMA but they have an international plan that connects to GSM via Orange network. It can be activated and deactivated as needed on a monthly basis.

Just checked with my DH, who handles this end of the travel plans. He says its not that expensive for phone, but data can quickly add up. The fee to connect to international is only $5 but calls are almost $3 per minute. Data is $25 per 100 mg. Here is a link:

verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pr…

For the country use Guadeloupe.

DH also says if you DON'T have the data plan, then use data the bill is tremendous, so turn data roaming OFF. Since you purchase by the MB, you have to watch your usage. If you go over 100, say only to 101 MB, they will charge another $25.

We usually handle this by stopping by the Verizon store before leaving to make sure its all set up. The one time we did it online one phone didn't work and we had to call them...pain in the...

Some people like to be totally unplugged on vacation but we like to have a phone so our dog/house sitter, families and work can reach us in case of emergency. This helps me relax.

If you want to make local calls, ie for restaurant reservations, use the villa phone. If you want to call long distance cheaply, you can use the villa phone and a phone card, purchased at the electronics store by the gas station in St. Jean. I forget the specifics as we just use our cells and cringe when the bill comes...but the card comes with directions and someone in the store can help you.

Edited: 10:41 pm, July 14, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phones

In the US, Verizon uses CDMA technology, along with Sprint, while AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. GSM is found more often internationally (including St. Barth), so Verizon offers some phones that can work on either CDMA or GSM networks. They refer to them as "world phones". You'll need to check the Verizon website to see if your phone qualifies.

verizonwireless.com/b2c/…global-ready-phones

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phones

Exactly. Your Verizon phone will work only if it is "dual band" i.e. if it also has a GSM "radio and codec" on it , in addition to the CDMA one. Only a few Verizon phones do.

All networks in Saint Barth are GSM. None work on CDMA.

Edited: 4:44 pm, July 15, 2013
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phones

Here is a link to a google search of Verizon Global Ready phones. As you can see, all iPhones, Droids, Blackberries and a number of others are on this list.

https://m.verizonwireless.com/tablet/catalog

Unless you are using a very outdated phone, chances are good that yours can easily work by simply activating international access. As I said earlier, visit the Verizon store and let them take care of it.

10. Re: Cell Phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:26 pm, July 15, 2013
Edited: 10:26 pm, July 15, 2013