We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers with a bajillion questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timers with a bajillion questions

Ok, so we decided to take an overnight trip to St. Barts as part of our trip to St. Martin. If you had two days and one night what are your suggestions for the following (keep in mind we're spending a lot already and want to keep costs for this jaunt down):

1. budget hotel, its just one night and we don't need frills as we plan on spending very little time in the room, although it should be clean.

2. Where to eat dinner?

3. What beaches to go to? best for celeb spotting?

4. Places to party a. day b. night

5. Ferry vs plane. This is a tough one with many possibilities. We are looking into Sunset which is across from the ferry (don't know which one) but our hotel in SXM is right near the oyster bay ferry which is shorter but doesnt run daily. There is also the possibility of ferrying one way and flying back. Very confusing. Where can we compare rates?

Sorry for all the questions! lol Thanks!

Jaimie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Jaimie...St Barts and budget are rarely found in the same sentence.

If you are going to St. Barts to party during the day...and at night...and dine out....it is going to cost you $$$.

You will need to rent a car.

If you are travelling to St Barts, but you are concerned about doing it "on the cheap"....don't go. Stay in St Martin...or go to Anguilla.

St Barts is wonderful...but you really need a "money is no object" approach to really enjoy yourself...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Aside from offering no useful info, you coudn't be more wrong. There are hotels for under 300 a night, restaurants that wont break the bank and beaches and scenery are basically free. Maybe living in NYC, we have a different definition of budget than you. I'm talking one night on about $1,500 to be clear.

I'm not saying that datthecoast doesn't publish the most respected travel guide in the world, but I know these guys do: fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-ba…

Any others with useful info other than saying don't bother please reply!

Thanks! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Have a nice time!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

My suggestions:

1- Try La Petite Anse, La Normandie, Salines Garden, Les Mouettes or Fleur de Lune. You will get more of a Saint Barth feel (beach) than Sunset (town). Will cost you about 200 euros per night if you can get in.

2- If you really want the Saint Barth experience, eat dinner at Eden Rock. Will cost you 150+ euros per person. If you want more budget, pick one of the places on the harbor in Gustavia. half that price. If you want really cheap, go to le Select and have burgers. 25 euros per person.

3- Beach: hang out at la plage on Saint Jean beach or at Nikki beach. Will cost you 30-50 euros per person plus drinks

4- Places to party day-- see 3 above; Places to party night -- yacht club in Gustavia, strand, ti-saint barth -- expect 50+ euros per person

5- Definitely fly. 65 euros one way if you go from grande case

Definitely rent a car also. Needed to go from place to place. 60 euros per day. taxi will cost more. Fuel: ~20 euros

So expect to spend, for 2:

200 euros + 150 (resto in gustavia) + 60 + 100 + 260 + 120 + 20 + 100 (5 drinks per person)

So total budget 1010 euros = $1300 You can even have a few more drinks or go to eden rock for dinner and fit into your buget.

It all depends on when you go. Hotels above will charge a bit more during high season (jan-march). They will go as far as trebling their price at christmas/new year, and you could not get them anyway at that time because they are booked for months in advance. Restaurants ask 1000 euros on new years evve. Nikki beach last year charged 45000 euros (no typo) for a table at their new years eve party.

I trust though that you will not be going around christmas / new years, so the prices above should provide a reasonable indication of what to expect. If Jan/March, the hotel may ask for a bit more.

Edited: 7:58 am, November 29, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Thank you so much mmmmpppp for your helpful advice! Actually, we will be going the week of 1/4-1/11. Right now I am looking at the Sunset Hotel (185E per nt) they also offer a car for 55E. It looks no frills but clean which is fine for 1 night where I plan to spend very litte time in the room. Are any of your suggestions better?

What about best beach? or should I just go to Nikki Beach? Any other must dos if you only have 48 hours?

Also what is the cheapest airline?

Sorry for all the questions - thanks! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Sunset is a clean bed-nothing fancy.

Day One: Take the ferry over (nice to arrive by boat) and St. Barth's Commuter to Grand Case (SFG) on the return. I would rent a car and have them meet you at the ferry. Drive to Gouvenuer or Saline beach (or both) for rest of the morning. Head to St. Jean and get lunch-La Plage/Nikki Beach (ex) or go to Maya's to Go or the supermarket. Drive around the island. Go back to Gustavia to change for dinner. Sundowner cocktail at Victoria at the Carl Gustav Hotel. I would walk around and consider Eddy's or Wall House for dinner. After dinner go to BAZ for a beer, live music, and maybe a dance on the harbour? If you still want to party then go to Casa Nikki nightclub.

Day Two: walk around Gustavia-maybe get lunch here. Drive to St. Jean to return the car Last swim, last shop, last dine before the last flight over

ENJOY!!!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

The sunset hotel is fine, as are all the hotels in saint barth. The only reason I was suggesting others is that sunset is in the main town, gustavia, and I personally like a more rural (i.e. beach or hill) setting. For what you need though, Sunset will be perfect. And the rate you have can't be beat in high season.

Nikki beach is not a beach. It is a restaurant, and it is located on Saint Jean beach. I would personally recommend La Plage, also on saint jean beach, more than nikii beach for lunch and hanging out on beach chairs. It is also a scene, but more french, more beautiful people, less tacky and less expensive. Nikki beach is too over the top. Depends on your taste.

The real saint barth experience is to go to either gouverneur or salines beach. Those are very different from Saint jean. There are no bars, no restaurants, no beach chairs, no facilities whatsoever. No scene here.. You will have the undevelopped beaches almost to yourselves. They are also stunningly beautiful. Also nude sunbathing is practiced on both, but is very discreet. This is where all these paparazzi pictures of clothes free celebrities are taken. I recommend you spend at least a morning or afternoon on one of these.

The other saint barth experience is to sunbathe topless at la plage while sipping a chanpagne cocktail. You will see that all the french women are doing it. Your call if you dare to join in.

There are only two airlines that fly to saint barth from Saint Martin. Winair flies from Juliana. Saint barth commuter from Grand Case L'esperance airport. Saint barth commuter is significantly cheaper.

Hope you have fun. I love saint barth. so jealous you will be there so soon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Thank you both so much for your helpful advice! :)

ackbyrd I like the idea of arriving by ferry and taking the SBH commuter back. Especially since we are staying at the Westin Dawn Beach, the Oyster Pond ferry is right there and is only 45 min. We will fly back into Grand Case. Its less expensive than flying round trip and we get to experience both. Definitely want to have a drink at Carl Gustav hotel or Eden Rock, definitely want to go to Nikki Beach. Don't have to do fancy dinner. Then maybe Yacht Club.

I'll have a car so Saline Beach sounds like a definite. St, Jean Beach sounds like a good place for lunch.

Have I missed anything? Oh yeah and maybe do a little shopping (emphasis on little haha) Hope I'm not packing in too much.

Cant wait!

Rome
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Hi, I am in st. barth and everything that has been said from the New Yorkers is true. Just one new addition to the restaurant scene is L' Isoletta( same owner of the very good Italian restaurant L'Isola) it is in Gustavia and you can have pizza bianca sandwiches( like Sullivan bakery) and lasagna etc.Again nothing is cheap on this island. The right place for tee- shirts is Pati de st.barth, one shop in Gustavia next to the Select and one in St.Jean. One more thing, if you feeel like walking 20 m. go to Colombier beach: car to Flamands- petite anse

, park and go along the coast( with water), it is great . Have fun!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers with a bajillion questions

Good luck with your celeb spotting! Don't be too disappointed if you come away empty handed, though. A-Listers tend to come by yacht, and stay on said yacht! But, ya never know....Over the years I've chatted/chilled/drank with/sat near or just walked by quite a few. Lots of NY jocks and ex-jocks. Buffet seams to never be too far away. Letterman cruises the streets of Gustavia. Biggest A-list spot by far, Nicole Kidman. You think she's pretty on screen, OMG, just stunning. Have a wonderful time. I'll bet you'll be skipping SXM next year! B

Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy