We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience on checking luggage through?

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Experience on checking luggage through?

Wife and I heading over in two weeks. Flight from Atlanta and we can check luggage all the way thru via Winair. However, would rather not worry about lost luggage. Any thoughts on how reliable the process? Other option is simply carry on and limit my wife's accessories :)

And appreciate reading all the forums/topics. Looking forward to the trip!

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
266 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience on checking luggage through?

We only travel with carry-on now, but in years past we did check luggage with US Air. We did not have any problems. I would suggest carry-on only, but I don't want to get you in trouble with your wife.

Have a great trip!!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience on checking luggage through?

As it is low season you should be fine, just be sure that the bags are actually checked through to St Barth (SBH.) I would suggest you bring a carry-on with some things to get you through in case your bag is delayed.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience on checking luggage through?

We are in St, Barts now and checked our bags with US Air who then transferred them to Winair. When we arrived in St. Barts our bags were not there. We simply checked with the Winair desk who said they were on the next flight and they arrived 20 minutes later. Not a big deal as we got our rental car and drove to the villa. Came back and our bags were waiting for us. I would still bring a carry on as our bags have been lost several times.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience on checking luggage through?

"However, would rather not worry about lost luggage"

It would be hard for them to lose the luggage - typically it is just put on a later flight due to weight issues.

It's in your best interest to do carry on. If you must check bags, make sure to have at least a bathing suit and whatever you might need for the first afternoon in a smaller carry on bag that you can bring on the plane with you.

suitcaseready.com

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience on checking luggage through?

A word of advice....instead of packing one huge bag to check, pack two smaller ones. The biggies are the ones they tend to send later (or the next day, or two!) due to weight issues. As posted above, low season should mean fewer travelers, and more room for luggage, and things have gotten better over the years. DO pack essentials, bathing suit, light change of clothes in a carry on.

Enjoy your trip!

6. Re: Experience on checking luggage through?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy