We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining st barts

dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dining st barts

i went to these restaurants i rate them by stars

*** le jardin -french classic food, great desserts in shopping center across from airport

*** wall house- french they try to rush americans don't let them

** vietnam -vietnamese ask to sit on terrace, really good food ,nice people

** wishing well-creole food

**newborn-family run creole ,lots of local color ,the family are fishermen. pick out your own caribean lobster

** wok- chinese fusion very interesting decor

**maya's -contemporary food fish ,very west coast

mandala-good view, fair food was better in past expensive

maya's to go-I don't know why people get carryout from here. I bought two sandwiches from here for 12eu. They were nearly unedible and lacked meat . really poor ..I would have returned them but I was on a plane.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining st barts

Lantus, thanks for the report.

Please tell me more about the Wishing Well, I'm looking for new, off-beat places for my upcoming trip, and this place interests me. You're one of few I know that have been there.

Did you do lunch or dinner? What did you have? Would you go back?

Thanks, Binti

PS: I love sitting on the terrace at Vietnam, too. One of my favorite low-key spots! Great value.

dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining st barts

dear binti,

Wishing well is creole food made by black people! As u know that's unusual for st bart's. I had goat a favorite of mine.We had conch fritters that were great.The desert was an upside down cake cooked in a skillet. My wife who is a picky eater liked everything but the roux of her main course she's from boston and just doesn't appreciate a dark roux sauce.We got a tour of the place from our delightful waitress ,the kitchen was very clean and modern and the food is absolutely from scratch.The place is casual, open aire, festive place maybe better for lunch or a laid back dinner.My wife would go back....

The Jardin in the shopping center had great desserts food was excellent.The chef is well trained and inventive.I had a warm chocalate tarte in cream anglaise my wife had berries with a sabyon sauce over, then broiler browned and topped with ice cream.I'm going to try to duplicate these deserts at home.

p.s.

thanks for your food advice i used it just last week

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dining st barts

Sounds great! Thanks for the update, I sincerely appreciate it. I will definitely go for lunch, I always get turned around on that part of the island! The first time we went to La Langouste we did a day-time drive by, I highly recommend this technique for first-timers!

Glad the advice came in handy, that's what this board is all about! I will be leaving in 10 days, and hopefully have new experiences to share, too!

Binti

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dining st barts

I love the Wall House and have never experienced being treated differently as an American. Deni, the owner is wonderful, the food and setting are excellent.

dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining st barts

Denis was in paris. I don't like to be rushed.I had to speak to the waiter.They weren't rushing the french.I have enjoyed talking with Denis in the past about people we have known in Moorea. He had a cooking school in moorea.I only give my advise on what I experience and no two people experience will ever be the same.I think when you spend what you have to spend anywhere on st. barts you shouldn't have to feel like your table is timed...