We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in St Barths?

Dutch West Indies
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping in St Barths?

What is the proper way to go about tipping while in st. Barths?

Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in St Barths?

I am wondering if you dont have to tip being a French Island but they may sort of be used to Americans who tip even though they do not have to. In France most places are "service compris" service included but who knows? I 'd be interested in hearing the truth.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in St Barths?

Regarding tipping in St Barth, as in France service is included in the bill. However, it is appropriate to leave a pour boire, literally meaning "for a drink" which is a small tip to show appreciation to the wait staff for good service. I would suggest between 5-10%. However, you are free to tip more (my husband, who spent many years in the service industry, usually does!) The cost of living on the island is very high and we usually have excellent service.

It is best to leave the pour boire in cash. If you plan to tip via credit card, you would have to indicate this to the server before the card is charged. Sometimes waiters will add a tip line to the slip, especially for Americans. Some consider this to be offensive or inappropriate.

Many Americans tip the traditional 15-20% but it is not necessary.

Hope this helps!

3. Re: Tipping in St Barths?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, October 23, 2010
;