We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Montserrat with kids

Charlotte, NC
3 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in Montserrat with kids

Family of four, 2 children ages 11 and 13. Montserrat has great rental homes at great prices. We're looking at staying between 2 and 4 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas on things to do with them? Shopping, beaches, observatory, anything?

Thanks

Level Contributor
588 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Montserrat with kids

Wow... I think four days in Montserrat would just about cover everything! And the kids will likely be bored out of their skulls. I would seriously reconsider your length of stay there. I was there last about 5 years ago and stayed two nights in the Tropical Mansion around Christmas. I hired a taxi for the full day to do all/see all. We had a very liesurely lunch! Certainly go look at the volcano from both the eastern viewpoint overlooking the old airstrip and the new observatory. On that, the west side, there are a couple of very nice beaches. I've been there one other time since the volcano (one of the first passenger ships, the S/V Mandalay, allowed entry) and 2-3 times before. Unfortunately, the ongoing uncertainties of the volcano leave Montserrat on the outside of the tourist trade. Getting there has always been a big problem and for stranger reasons, they discontinued the high-speed ferry access from Antigua, although I swore I'd take the chopper over after suffering the pre-Xmas ferry stampede at their tiny port facility. The people are certainly very nice. You will need wheels to really get around as what little is there is always a ridge or two or three away. I'd just arrange to hire an oncall taxi as they really don't have much to do. Oh yes, be sure to get your pass port stamped! It's one of the unique ones! Good travels!

HAMPTON,GEORGIA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Montserrat with kids

you just might be suprised as to what kind of activities are going on in Montserrat at the time of your visit,as for the volcano it has been quiet for some time now so you should have no problems there.

Take a chance on Montserrat and you might fall in love with it,first off it is not like any other caribbean island and certainly not like it use to be but you will find something to keep the kids occupied for four weeks,consider a picnic,hiking,sight seeing,volcano/bird watching,around the island boat ride,snorkeling and a few other things left up to the imagination.

From 1995 to now changes have been made it has been slow in coming and i hope in the next five years it would be even better,there is a new airport and no ferry due to the airport coming on stream. check it out and let me know what you think.

Happy Travels

Montserrat
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Montserrat with kids

If you are looking for a slow pace, relaxing place to stay, you will find it in Montserrat. We have four very nice beaches - Lime Kiln, Woodlands, Little Bay, and Rendezvous. All offer nice snorkeling. Rendezvous can only be reached by hiking or boating. We also rent kayaks that you can take over there (they are big inflatable sea kayaks, perfect for families). There are numerous hikes available in Montserrat - some you can do on your own, some you may want to hire a guide. The observatory is also a great place to spend a morning or afternoon. Your children can learn more than they ever wanted to know about volcanoes! We do boat tours to see Plymouth as well. Bring a game for the kids to play in the pool and I'm sure they can entertain themselves! Have a great time!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Montserrat with kids

I think you would be able to have a great time even for that length of stay, as long as you all like to chill and don't have to be doing stuff all the time. I would pick someplace with a pool, that will help with entertaining them. That said I think I would combine a week or so in Montserrat with a week or so in Antigua, St. Kitts or Nevis. (I'd pick Nevis)

There is no shopping to speak of.

The observatory is a great way to spend a day.

I only know the beach at the Vue Pointe, and as the hotel is closed I'm betting the beach is either not good or not accessible right now.

Where did you get the line on the rentals? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Detroit
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Montserrat with kids

Four days max. with kids

6. Re: Things to do in Montserrat with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Montserrat